• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

antifreeze in oil

derby

Ok here is what i got, new to me deuce ,engine looks to have ben rebult. had alot of items disconnected,injector lines ,flame heater,wire harness,compressor lines and fuel lines.I put it all toghether fired it up.only ran it for a few seconds because I had not added any coolant.there was a little oil leaking from the filter cans.I wanted to make shure it was worth putting anything into before I added any coolant or other dough.so I add coolant start it up and I notice coolant leaking from where the oil was previously leaking.I shut it down immediatly.removed the cans and there was shure enough coolant in there.funny thing no coolant in the crank case.anybody got any idea what is going on. :?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bad head gasket, cracked head or cracked block.

Do a leakdown on the coolant system and see where the pressure is going. Or do a leakdown test on the cylinders.

derby

Thanks guys ,I will check the hose and the cooler first. With any luck that will be it.I will let you know what I find.

derby

Well it is not the oil cooler or a loose hose. I will have to look further into the engine.anybody have a coolant path chart for the multi? can I use any ldt or ld block and heads?

m35a2cowner

Coolant Leak

You might try getting a cooling system tester (small pump that pressurizes cooling system) remove the oil pan and pressurize the cooling system. Look for leak running down inside of block. If its from a cylinder it might be a head gasket (best case) If it appears to be from a area where oil drains back into the engine it might be the cooler. One word of caution, be mindful of causing a hydraulic lock. If its a head gasket leaking it might fill up a cylinder and cause damage when you roll the motor over with the starter. I would pull the injectors to be safe. I believe they make a dye (use with black light)that aids in the finding cooling system leaks

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Coolant Leak

Take the valve covers off and look at where the valve springs seat, the freeze plugs in the top of the heads and down the cavaties where the push tubes are. Those are easy to spot.

derby

Ok new development. I drained the oil and what was left of the water. left out the oil drain plugs ,added water when I got to about 6 gal I heard water running,sounded like pouring water in a big tin pan.I continued pouring in water intil I got about 8 gal and stoped.water was pouring out of the two oil drains,almost as fast as I poured it in.I have a feeling it is more than a head or gasket.there must be a huge void in there somewhere.any ideas? I might pull the pan but at this point I think that would be a waste of time.

bottleworks

If it's pouring out with no pressure in the cooling system, sounds like a big hole in the block...Thats too bad. Still a good parts engine. Injection pump, oil pan, oil pump, heads, injectors, oil cooler, etc.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Take the lids off. Check the freeze plugs in the heads, after 6 gals, whatever it is, it's up high.

devilman96

Ditto, heads or heat exchanger. Pull and inspect the exchanger first as it makes the heads easier to do with it out of the way...

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

derby
Did you find the source of your problem?

McVeyMac

Derby,

I have a 0 hour rebuilt engine I could sell you. I got it because I thought I had a cracked block. It turns out that I had a cracked head which was much easier to remedy. Let me know if you would want to consider this. A pickup truck would get home for you.

Walt

derby

Sorry Guy's I have not gone any further.I am shooting for this weekend.I will report back.Walt I will keep you in mind,thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks