• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antifreeze Type: Did I just make a big mistake?

08hmmwv

I earlier posted that I had issues with starting my 1999 6.5 m998. At first try to start the vehicle the wait light blinked for a 10th if a second and every other try it never even blinked. I called the seller which he then told me that the weather by me is too cold and he left the engine block heater in the ammo can. I decided to do the job myself so I punched a hole in the plug on the bottom and green clean antifreeze came out. I removed the plug with a chain and installed the heater.

I asked a local mechanic which is a family friend if he had some antifreeze. he asked me what color antifreeze I told him green came out the bottom. I poured green antifreeze with no water mixture.Now I’m reading online that you MUSTuse diesel antifreeze and distilled water mixture. Can I mess up my engine by driving about 100 miles on it with this type of fluids?

Last edited:

Inspector 1

I earlier posted that I had issues with starting my 1999 6.5 m998. At first try to start the vehicle the wait light blinked for a 10th if a second and every other try it never even blinked. I called the seller which he then told me that the weather by me is too cold and he left the engine block heater in the ammo can. I decided to do the job myself so I punched a hole in the plug on the bottom and green clean antifreeze came out. I removed the plug with a chain and installed the heater.

I asked a local mechanic which is a family friend if he had some antifreeze. he asked me what color antifreeze I told him green came out the bottom. I poured green antifreeze with no water mixture.Now I’m reading online that you MUSTuse diesel antifreeze and distilled water mixture. Can I mess up my engine by driving about 100 miles on it with this type of fluids?
You will do no damage to your engine what so ever by running the standard green anti freeze. It is preferred however to use Anti freeze protection against cavitation. I prefer to use "Peak Fleet Charge". It incorporates nitrite to provide wet sleeve liner protection against cavitation amongst other benefits for the diesel engine. It is red in color.

08hmmwv

You will do no damage to your engine what so ever by running the standard green anti freeze. It is preferred however to use Anti freeze protection against cavitation. I prefer to use "Peak Fleet Charge". It incorporates nitrite to provide wet sleeve liner protection against cavitation amongst other benefits for the diesel engine. It is red in color.
Thank you for your quick response, some people have been making me nervous by telling me I can damage my engine because of excessive vibration from regular fluid. If I just remove the engine block heater would that drain every last bit of antifreeze so I can put in the peak fleet charge? How many would I need and does it need any water mixture?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cavitation occurs in diesel engines with wet cylinder sleeve type liners.
The detroit 6.2/6.5 aren't a wet sleeve type engine, they're typically directly bored into the casting block (unless someone had it machined to add a sleve, but it's still typically going to be into the native block material, not into the water jacket)

So no, cavitation isn't really an issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks