• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any 5 ton winterization tips/suggestions?

blairenzo

Hi All. I have a 934 expando van and am new to the whole air brake 5 ton thing and was wondering if there is anything special I should do to get it ready for the cold Wisconsin winter. Thanks

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure your air dryer is working well, fill the ether can.

As far as the brakes, there have been several threads on freeze ups, the solution has beeen the pressure protection valve freezing. Find the valve now so you know where to thaw it out. You'll be glad you did.

Gunzy

I'm not a pro on air brakes, but I would say check the drier and make sure that it is in good service with a good drier cartridge on it. Likely more important would be to check, test and service the cooling system. I flushed mine a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty nasty. Info can be found by searching SS for cooling system cleaning, anti-freeze and the like.

Gunzy

I drain the air tanks every time I'm done driving it for the day. Whenever I go to use the truck it will always air up from scratch.

I use the winter front end (canvas cover) to keep the radiator cozy. Katts ether cans from Napa, wrapped my heater with stick on insulation, wrapped all heater hoses under hood. Picked up 2 walmart 2 defrosters that I screwed into the dash and (1) 12 volt seat warmer to keep my butt warm in the ND winters :) of course the freeze block heater. When the temps drop I keep the batteries plugged in to keep them fresh... my 5 ton is a pain to start once she gets too cold, oil too thick. Keep the clutch pushed in, even in neutral

blairenzo

Thanks everyone for your help I wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything. I wasn't sure how the air dryer worked until it purged while I was under it. My canister is painted over so I downloaded some info on the air dryer from Halidex I would like to replace it I see that there is a dessicator kit DQ6026 with a dessicator(201160C) and a different download mentions a heavy duty dessicator (201160B) is available and yet another download mentions an ARTIC CANISTER FILTER KIT(DQ6036). Just wondering what would be the best for Wisconsin. It's a M934 with abs. I hope to convert it to an RV for some land up in Colorado at 10,000 ft anyone have any luck getting it register as an RV?