• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any experience with starters from wilson auto electric?

mdeamicis

I am suffering the consequences of not spending 13 dollars on a relay to do the doghead mod. I new it was a good idea but just had not done it yet. I haven't had the rig very long and have been drivimg here locally to shake out any bugs before doing any projects on her. Well. I finally gound a problem and it was the run away starter.

Smoked the relay day before yesterday and grabbed a set of pliers from my tool bag under the seat, popped the hood, and pulled the terminals as fast as I could. I was in the middle of setting up for a birthday party and put it off till today to fix it. Picked up a relay this morning and did the mod.

Starter continued to run away after start and only pulling the terminals at the battery would stop it. Once the batteries are disconected you can reconect them with no starter engagement but it will run away again if you try to start it. I pulled the starter apart to inspect it because it smelled like a fresh arc welding project. The starter was good and did not smell but the solenoid did smell. I was unable to disasemble the solenoid because the small stud that the purple wire bolts to is stripped at the point where the nut holds the end into the housing. But I wass able to get the end off enougn to loom inside and it see,s tome the circular contact looked a bit cooked to me.

Put the started back together and installed it with a .020 shim because it was slightly tight before. Now the starteer runs but does not engage the flywheel. Very strange. I honestly believe that the jinute or so it took me to get the batteries disconected must have smoked the solenoid? Maybe the pivot bolt did not make it through the hole in the lever and so the plunger can not engage the lever and move the drive gear? But the starter is turning over and sounds good. Either way my confidence in the starter as a whole and the solenoid specifically is shaken. As a side note, the starter does have a sticker from world wide supply or something like that. It does not look to be oem and I do not know the origin.

I checked local parts houses online and it is 2 to 3 days to get a replacement. I may be able to find a good rebuilder local, I live next door to a guy with 4 tractors and 2 dump trucks that has lived there for 60 years amd I bet he has had a few staryers rebuilt.

However, 1 of 4 locations for wilson auto electic is about 15 minutes from my house with an new manufacture 27mt replacement starter. They seem to pride themselves in producing quality units and I prefer to fix it once.

http://www.wilsonautoelectric.com/inventory_search.html

Please share the wisdom of experience and guide me to getting my rig on the road in the next 18 hours.

P.S. whats the chances of me walking into autozone and picking up a solenoid and that fixing it?

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold Wilson at NAPA for many years. Dependable and quality. They also has stuff no one else did especially the HD market. I have been out of the game for a few years but would not hesitate to use Wilson.