• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Good Diesel Mechanics in Southern California??

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 870532

That's an odd placement of the drain plug for the oil pan.
Different from the location of mine for sure.

Are you sure the washer on that is good, and oil simply isn't leaking out of the drain hole due to stripped threads or a bad seal?
I saw that and thought the same thing. I thought to be on the safe side that I should err on the side of caution and keep my foot out of my mouth. I still can't believe that is where the oil drain plug could be located. Maybe a repair job, strange. It does look like it is leaking.

jplace1011

I saw that and thought the same thing. I thought to be on the safe side that I should err on the side of caution and keep my foot out of my mouth. I still can't believe that is where the oil drain plug could be located. Maybe a repair job, strange. It does look like it is leaking.
Now I’m curious, where are the drain plugs on your vehicles?

When they replaced the Rear Main Engine Seal, I had them replace the Oil Pump and Oil Pan Gasket as well. Maybe they put a new pan in, or the prior owner did at some point. I have a video of before it got fixed. I’ll check and see what Oil Pan was in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squibbly

Now I’m curious, where are the drain plugs on your vehicles?

When they replaced the Rear Main Engine Seal, I had them replace the Oil Pump and Oil Pan Gasket as well. Maybe they put a new pan in, or the prior owner did at some point. I have a video of before it got fixed. I’ll check and see what Oil Pan was in.

1655397785467.png

jplace1011

Today I drove the M1009 around then checked it for Oil & Coolant Leaks.

I did find a very small coolant leak. If I correct, it could be possibly leaking from the bolt that’s in the lower right corner of the Water Pump. Or one of the other nearby bolts.

View from below:

View from the Front

I put a Red Line where the leak seems to be

Then again, whatever is leaking could just be ending up in that are on account of gravity.

The Oil wasn’t leaking near the rear of the engine, but I did find Oil in that area after driving it. I outlined where the oil seems to be coming from which is up. Rear Main Engine Seal??

I’m still thinking it wouldn’t hurt to check the bolts on the Oil Pan. I found a tad bit of oil at the front of the engine as well. Right at the top of the oil pan belies the Harmonic Balancer. I sure hope it’s the oil pan and not the Seal and Harmonic Balancer they just replaced.

I have another possible problem with the Charging System, but let’s get to that next. This sucks!!

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I drove the M1009 around then checked it for Oil & Coolant Leaks.

I did find a very small coolant leak. If I correct, it could be possibly leaking from the bolt that’s in the lower right corner of the Water Pump. Or one of the other nearby bolts.

View from below:

View from the Front

I put a Red Line where the leak seems to be

The Oil wasn’t leaking near the rear of the engine, but I did find Oil in that area after driving it. I outlined where the oil seems to be coming from which is up. Rear Main Engine Seal??

I’m still thinking it wouldn’t hurt to check the bolts on the Oil Pan. I found a tad bit of oil at the front of the engine as well. Right at the top of the oil pan belies the Harmonic Balancer. I sure hope it’s the oil pan and not the Seal and Harmonic Balancer they just replaced.

I have another possible problem with the Charging System, but let’s get to that next. This sucks!!

Reference the TM Page that Keith_J sent you, reply #16, there are 5 or 6 pages on the water pump on those pages. It will show you the bolts that require thread sealant. Check all of your oil pan bolts and torque to specs. You might find a not to difficult fix to your issues. You can do it.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reference the TM Page that Keith_J sent you, reply #16, there are 5 or 6 pages on the water pump on those pages. It will show you the bolts that require thread sealant. Check all of your oil pan bolts and torque to specs. You might find a not to difficult fix to your issues. You can do it. I doubt that the seal from the harmonic balancer is your problem if they just replaced it. Did they replace the seal when they replaced the balancer?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reference the TM Page that Keith_J sent you, reply #16, there are 5 or 6 pages on the water pump on those pages. It will show you the bolts that require thread sealant. Check all of your oil pan bolts and torque to specs. You might find a not to difficult fix to your issues. You can do it.
The leaking coolant is blowing all over the motor and washing any build up of oil, and grease to appear to be leaking oil. Figure out your leaking coolant and you will have a better reference to figuring out your oil leaks. I'm not saying you don't have an oil leak, but the coolant would be my first priority. Check your oil pan bolts, transmission pan bolts, check to make sure your oil filter is tight, and your oil pan bolt is tight. Tighten the oil pan bolt and check for leaks. Keep it TIGHT!!

jplace1011

The leaking coolant is blowing all over the motor and washing any build up of oil, and grease to appear to be leaking oil. Figure out your leaking coolant and you will have a better reference to figuring out your oil leaks. I'm not saying you don't have an oil leak, but the coolant would be my first priority. Check your oil pan bolts, transmission pan bolts, check to make sure your oil filter is tight, and your oil pan bolt is tight. Tighten the oil pan bolt and check for leaks. Keep it TIGHT!!
This all sounds good! The old process of elimination! I have printed out the Proper Charts from the TM. I’ll use that as a reference.

I’m thinking I may spray a little degreaser around the bottom side of the engine and then rinse it. This will help as well.

Squibbly

Some motivational words.
I grew up in MA. Unions rule the land there.
I was raised to think in terms of "There is a person that does that job", and then you just paid that person to do whatever job was needed because if you didn't "horrible things might happen".

I moved to the south in my early 20's. People here were broke as sh*t.
All my neighbors fixed their own stuff which was a culture shock for me.

My very good friend and neighbor at the time taught me how to work on cars. He stated quite logically when I suggested that it was beyond my capabilities "Have you ever talked to an auto mechanic? They aren't all rocket scientists you know? Same for most jobs you are paying other people to do. The difference between an auto mechanic and you is they started turning wrenches on cars at some point and you haven't. So, lets start turning a wrench.", and with this we did a brake change on my car.

The shift in my mentality about what I could and couldn't do happened on that day. It was a great feeling of self-reliance.
My appetite to learn all these things I was previously "scared" to do myself increased with each new challenge.
I looked for projects that I previously would have been scared to take on, and studied and learned how they worked and how to fix (or build) them.

Knowledge is power. This is what allows someone to buy a car that "doesn't run" for almost nothing, and fix it into something worth several thousands more than they paid. Same with house flipping. Everyone that owns a boat had to back that boat down the boat ramp and into the water at some point. Not the most natural thing in the world to do, and especially not under pressure of people behind you waiting to launch their boats. If you want to have fun on your boat though, you HAVE TO do it at some point. You aren't going to call your friend to come tow your boat and put it in the water for you, right? I'm an expert at backing a boat down a ramp now. :D

I'm not saying to go do open heart surgery on someone tomorrow, but fixing an oil leak might give you the confidence to expand that success to other areas you once thought you couldn't do yourself. It sometimes takes hours of reading, sometimes staring at a problem and going through the process of all the steps you are going to take, and being logical and methodical about how you tackle it.

There were times when the field manuals for the CUCV didn't tell me certain things that had me frustrated, but the people on this forum who have "experience" helped me. For instance, I tore my hand up trying to get to the bolts holding the lift pump onto the block. I spent hours being frustrated. @cucvrus had a post I found that said to take off the generator and bracket. Once I did this...it was easy peasy, and THAT is where experience comes in. The only thing you don't have is experience, but you have a brain, a working body and the manuals...this forum is the experience part. Hell, go read my post about changing my flexplate and torque converter. I had to do that job 3x to get it right. Now I have the experience, and I can do it again and again if I needed to.

Just my .06 cents (due to inflation)

Last edited:

jplace1011

Something else that should make you laugh.

I watched these videos to start learning about how engines actually work :D :ROFLMAO:

These videos should be in the sticky section of this forum. Horrible quality, but pretty good info.

Diesel:

.06 due to inflation!!! That’s sooo good!!

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words! I found a very handy guy who has done vehicle work for my Dad and his in laws. I’m hoping to take the M1009 to him soon. I believe he worked out in Detroit for a period, either as a mechanic or at one of the car factories. We’re going to meet at his brothers house. There are 2 car lifts there, which is a good sign.

He’ll take a look at the M1009 and we’ll go from there. He’s never worked on one and thought that military vehicles might be a little different. I told him that from what I’ve heard and read they are the same as the civilian version, just stripped down and have a few 24 volt components.

Let’s see how it goes, I’ll let you guys know. Thank you again for all the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks