• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any help in the right direction????

REDLEG_M198

Hey guys. My brother and I just started our deuce project. We have aquired a fine A2 from a gentleman in Illinois who has a nice surplus lot. Cant recall the year, low miles IA national guard truck with a troop heater and whistler turbo. Also our hubs have already been flipped. We are part of a group who are all beginning deuce projects. Ours will be a bobbed crew cab. We havedonor trucks and lots of years experience to throw toward destruction and construction of the bed and cab. However the biggest problem i am having is WHEELS AND TIRES!!!!!!! I need super singles. Ive checked lots of forums and seemingly no answers to guys who have the same questions. im sure i can find them on here but your forumis soooo big it will take forever and my eyes already hurt from starin at countless websight of parts only to find stock A2 wheels and custom $675 rockwells with michelins. What id like to know very simply is what is the best wheel &tire for a bobbed A2 without spending over $1000? C&C surplus has 14.00r20 tires for $200. that sounds reasonable and i can drive there to get them. but what wheel do they go on? will A3 wheels work and fit my A2 plus those tires? Where do i find CHEAP used wheels? does any body have at least 4? I see a lot of times a guy will have 3 or 2 with tires and one that has 20% tread left. the only problem with the market for these parts is that the guys who have them very rarely advertise and haveto be gotten to by word of mouth. So to restate: most afforadble super single wheel/tire combo for a bobbed A2???????? Thanks

PROSTOCKTOM

Cheap is not usually associated with tires and rims on a deuce together.

If you truely want 14.00 tires then you need $$$ rims.

You might just want to buy tires and rims from Clint.

395/85 tires or 14.00 need larger rims and HEMTT rims are the way to go

If you want to go cheap right now just buy some 11.00 NDT tires and put them on your stock rims.

Tom

REDLEG_M198

I emailed clint today and got some prices. I will be definitely visiting him in the near future. however im still worried about cost. the 11.00 are the skinny super singles correct? What kind of tire is the most common on bobbed deuces. the all look the same. i know i wont be doing anything with CTIS. just find it hard a wider version of the standard deuce wheel is hard to locate if one exists

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, rims are not cheap right now. You also need to keep an eye on what tires the rims are made for. The A3 rims are designed for MPT tires. A search for "MPT" will net you lots of reading. Basically, you "can" put regular tires on a MPT rim, but do not put a MPT tire on a regular rim. The re-centered hemtt and PLS rims are the most common right now.

DeucesWild11

REDLEG, check out my album if you want to see 395's on stock rims.. My hubs have also been flipped. There is debate over safety issues with mounting on the stock rims but I believe that's just with the actual mounting. That by far is the cheapest combo. I picked up all 4 for around $1000 mounted on the rims, however I did pick them up rather than ship. I got mine at Kublos.

PS: if you plan on mounting a m105 trailer bed on the back when bobbed you will run into some clearance issues with the inside wheel well since the tires are closer to the truck due to the width. I plan on widening the wheel wells to accomodate. I don't want the bed any higher on mine.

Good luck!:beer:

PROSTOCKTOM

I emailed clint today and got some prices. I will be definitely visiting him in the near future. however im still worried about cost. the 11.00 are the skinny super singles correct? What kind of tire is the most common on bobbed deuces. the all look the same. i know i wont be doing anything with CTIS. just find it hard a wider version of the standard deuce wheel is hard to locate if one exists
I think the most common, hot set up is running a 395/85 with HEMTT rims.

This allows the average guy the ability to safely and quickly change a tire on the the truck with out removing the back half of the rim from the truck.

Now there are guys on here that have all different combinations of tires and rims. Most have never had any issues with some of the things they try.

However I offer this thought. You know the government spent millions of dollars figuring out the proper width and lip type for each rim used with certain tires and probably has a warehouse full of the research material stored away in under ground cave somwhere to support it.

Do your do diligence and be safe with your project.

The best package in my book is the 395/85 Michelin ZGL with the recentered HEMTT rims.

Tom

Last edited:

REDLEG_M198

deuceswild u are the answer to my prayers! i love that. simple and looks good. When you had your stock tires on were you concerned about the narrowness of your track. mine is still a 6x6 but ive got single stock wheels on the back and the wheel width just seems to narrow. it may be different with new tires. what is the actual tire your running? if i search for them do i use anything other than 395's? and can a local shop mount them on my wheels?

REDLEG_M198

tom, thanks for the advice. and i agree the govt has spent lots of money doing research (in some cases where a little common sense would have sufficed) and builtthe "perfect combo", but that usually relates to a lot of these $$$$$$$. now you say hemtt wheels. im familiar with a hemtt... large heavy hualer 8x8... am i correct? slant nose cab over? will those wheels slap on a deuce without modification? im not comfortable with the phrase "cut out the centers of the wheels and weld in new ones" and ive heard it a lot

This I think is the first time nobody has said SEARCH. There are many posts about rim and tire combos. It just pisses me off when people are ingnorant because of money. It is UNSAFE to run such a wide tire on a stock rim. Just because it has been done and it has worked SO FAR doesn't mean its right and safe. Spend the money do it right or don't do it at all. This is your life and others on the road you are messing with if things go bad. Don't give us all a bad name because you want to save a few bucks.

REDLEG_M198

midnight, i appreciate the advice. I am focusing on money for the time. I just unloaded a bunch in the truck and need to get by for now. If i could afford them id buy the custom rockwell wheels and tire combo from C&C.... however i dont have $2500 to drop. this is a project and wont be done for a long time and i imagine my check book will see a lot more action in the mean time. Dont worry, i wont give you a bad name....

Well I guess you missed the entire point of my post. Basically if you can't afford to do it right then don't do it at all. Just run your stock duece or bobber with the stock wheels and tires until you can afford it. Its not just me I am worried about getting a bad name but everyone in the hobby. As we know when something bad in the public eye happens with one truck then every truck and owner becomes a problem and is unsafe. Just take your time and do it right not the cheap way. I see by your original post that you want to make it a bobber and crew cab. Well maybe plan the entire project accordingly or do it in stages. If it’s a bobber then you are only looking at 4 tires and wheels. Which can be had for between $1000-$1500 if you take the time to search. There are plenty of guys on here and Egay that offer tires and wheels

Well I guess you missed the entire point of my post. Basically if you can't afford to do it right then don't do it at all. Just run your stock duece or bobber with the stock wheels and tires until you can afford it. Its not just me I am worried about getting a bad name but everyone in the hobby. As we know when something bad in the public eye happens with one truck then every truck and owner becomes a problem and is unsafe. Just take your time and do it right not the cheap way. I see by your original post that you want to make it a bobber and crew cab. Well maybe plan the entire project accordingly or do it in stages. If it’s a bobber then you are only looking at 4 tires and wheels. Which can be had for between $1000-$1500 if you take the time to search. There are plenty of guys on here and Egay that offer tires and wheels.

PROSTOCKTOM

Well I guess you missed the entire point of my post. Basically if you can't afford to do it right then don't do it at all. Just run your stock duece or bobber with the stock wheels and tires until you can afford it. Its not just me I am worried about getting a bad name but everyone in the hobby. As we know when something bad in the public eye happens with one truck then every truck and owner becomes a problem and is unsafe. Just take your time and do it right not the cheap way. I see by your original post that you want to make it a bobber and crew cab. Well maybe plan the entire project accordingly or do it in stages. If it’s a bobber then you are only looking at 4 tires and wheels. Which can be had for between $1000-$1500 if you take the time to search. There are plenty of guys on here and Egay that offer tires and wheels.
He's not interested in what is right or what it wrong with putting the large tires on the narrow rims. But this is the way most people are today. You think if he owned an airplane he would also put the wrong tires and rims on it?

Tom

Well if you look at post #7 it seems like he is planning on going the same route that some one else did and put 395's on the stock wheels. Your comment of "But this is the way most people are today." seems like we should all just sit back and let people do the WRONG things. One of the purposes of this site is the keep people from doing the wrong things therefore hopefully keep everyone safe and keep the hobby going.

DeucesWild11

My tires are specifically Michelin XML 395-85-20. You will need inner tubes if you are using the stock rims, the stock inner tube won't work you will need at least a 11x20 inner tube. That's what I have. Some guys have gotten away with a 9x20 but that seems too stretched out for me. I don't think a local shop will do it, they will say the rim is too narrow. Try to find someone else who has done it and can do it safely. Usually people wrap the rim and tire in chains when airing it up incase the ring flies off. I have also seen people use a forklift to push down the tire to get the rim on. Good luck with your truck!:beer:

Gee I wonder why a shop won't put 395's on a stock rim and say its too narrow. Must be cause it takes more work to force the big tire on the little rim. But definitely not because its UNSAFE!!

REDLEG_M198

Wow, I didn't mean to start any arguments guys. I'm new to this and don't really know what's "right", "wrong", or someones "opinion". My vehicle will keep the overall length. I am shortening the box and extending the cab and dropping the middle axel. I won't need tires until it's finished cuz it won't be on the road for at least a month. I just want an affordable set of tires/wheels that are larger and more aggressive than stock tires. I would like to keep my total price for 4 under 1500.

Awesome Possum

I don't see much mentioned about the tires I have, but they seem to work well without going into the big bucks of new rims. They're Michelin X 11.00-R20's, and they look a lot beefier than the non-directionals. Don't know the cost as they came with my truck. Here are some pics, (and yes, I know the rear tire is backwards, just haven't switched it out yet with one of my extras!) Polished aluminum spokes look good on some vehicles too.....or maybe not so much

Attachments

Bcurtman

My local tire shop specializes in OTR, buses, and dump trucks. They mounted my 14.00-20's on my stock rims and said they "dropped on" since they spaced the wheel up up off the ground and then dropped the tires on the wheels. New tubes, new flaps, mounting, $422 out the door.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks