• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any idea of what I should expect to pay per loaded mile for hauling a deuce and 1/2

leeinmemphis

hey everyone,

I am looking at a possibly purchasing a Deuce and am looking both at some listed on craigslist/on this board and also on govliquidation. My question is if I find one and have to get it shipped does anyone have an idea of what a shipper would charge per loaded mile given say a 3-400 mile haul? Any info is greatly appreciated.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
$3.00 to $4.00 per loaded mile.
It depends on how you ship it......on a full sized commercial truck you will pay more. Ironically you usually pay more for a short haul than a long haul.

A deuce is light enough to ship on a "Hot Shot Rig".....that is a big dually pickup with a lowboy trailer. If you find someone looking for a backhaul you can get a good rate.

Bear in mind that if you buy it from GL the driver will have to work around GL's hours and the restrictions at the base where he will be loading out of. You will also have to provide him with a Paid Invoice and signed Pickup Authorization form. He may need this to get on base and he will definatly need it to pick up the truck.

If you buy one out of Redstone I can assist with recovery but I don't haul anymore since the deck on my trailer has some bad wood on it.

Hope this helps.

ryan77

I got a quote once they wanted $3,000 to ship from Alabama to Chicago! I drove mine home it was a adventure to say the least!! But i would do it again!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last quote I got was for $4/mile for a 350 mile one-way. I drove it myself. The biggest problem was not being able to wipe the smile off my face for days afterwards. If you don't have experience with big trucks and or heavy equipment I don't recommend it. I do and took a mechanic (my Brother).

uriss

I used Sammons trucking and they brought my duece from Huntsville to Louisiana for about two dollars a mile. Be forewarned though. They have flatbeds only. I called my local rolloff wrecker service and they charged me fifty dollars to roll onto them then they rolled me to the ground. Easy as eating pie. Yours would be considered a day tripper. Probably cheaper.

ryan77

Get your i pod with some creedence on it and drive it! No better way to get it home!!!!

91W350

We charge 3.50 a mile, be half that per truck if you were hauling two. The trick as others have mentioned is to catch somebody looking to fill a load or make a back haul. I drove mine about 700 miles home, quite the adventure. 8)

Scarecrow1

If you have ever driven a big truck and know a little about the SAFETY issues involved then by all means if the truck checks out drive it . I pulled 600 miles and like the man said it is an adventure to remember ..........

leeinmemphis

yeah I would prefer to drive it but the last two times I tried that I got burned. I bought a motorcycle and when I got out there it wasn't safe to even put on the road. More recently I bought an old Jeep and flew out to drive home what was suppose to be a "pristine" Jeep......needless to say I had to tow it home for an additional $1800 I wasn't planning on. I'm going to keep an eye out for what comes up for sale on ebay, CL, and on here as well.

ryan77

Big difference for a deuce versus m1028! I paid 500 to get a m1009 from Texas to chicago!!

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was talking with my cuz the other day about this. We both being in the Army at one point came up with the idea instead of shipping it by truck ship it by train. So I called and talk with Amtrac about a shipping quote for rail heading a duece from PA to FL, and then called a trucking company and was quoted by them. The cost to ship it through the trucking company from PA to FL was $3,816.00. The cost to rail head it was $726.47. It is a hole lot cheaper maybe slower. With the train company you not paying for mile but space.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was talking with my cuz the other day about this. We both being in the Army at one point came up with the idea instead of shipping it by truck ship it by train. So I called and talk with Amtrac about a shipping quote for rail heading a duece from PA to FL, and then called a trucking company and was quoted by them. The cost to ship it through the trucking company from PA to FL was $3,816.00. The cost to rail head it was $726.47. It is a hole lot cheaper maybe slower. With the train company you not paying for mile but space.
I bet that price didn't include loading and getting the deuce to the railroad yard. They usually charge quite a bit to load and secure it to the car per their standards.

You've also got to consider there's at least a 50% chance it will be vandalized. Loaded cars can sit on sidings for days on end out in the middle of nowhere.

After having dealt with rail loads in the past, I don't think I want anything of mine hauled by rail unless it was in a secure boxcar.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, i Understand, the price quoted was for every thing they just told me it had to start up and drive up on the ramp. If not that there could be additional charges. but I understand about it having a greater possibility of being damage but the cost difference is disputable. If it meant buying a truck from GL and then pay as much as you paid for the truck to get to you its not worth it. This is just my oppion though.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Would these prices of roughly $3 per loaded mile apply to a 40' van trailer (non-hazmat)? Would a S&P trailer tend to be cheaper?

91W350

Would these prices of roughly $3 per loaded mile apply to a 40' van trailer (non-hazmat)? Would a S&P trailer tend to be cheaper?
Yes, unless you can find somebody bob tailing home or looking for a back haul. We have hauled for as little as 2.00 a mile, just to help with fuel if it was something easy and quick to load or tow. Dallas area to Kansas would be an easy load to get a reasonable rate on... or OK City to Kansas. A 40 foot trailer only leaves 13 feet for most to add to a haul with. We have some 59' steel decks we use here in Kansas, but they cannot run them in some states. We can haul two five tons pretty easily, or even a M820 and a cargo truck.

bearboley

I charge $3.25 a loaded mile for 250 miles or shorter for a 48' step deck with ramps or a Landoll whichever is in the yard at the time. Over 250 miles I drop it to $3 a mile. That includes loading and unloading if your not familiar with your new toy. If you have never been around a truck I will give you a run down of what does what. I carry tools, airhoses, jumpers, and a slave cable. I have actually taken the batteries out of my truck and started a five ton to get it loaded, whatever it takes its fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks