• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any idea what this "Armor" is?

pad_cdr

I see it on HMMWVs, FMVs, and other wheeled vehicles. A recruiter at a display said it was supposed to protect from shrapnel or fragments, but you know you can't trust recruiters. .

It is very thin and light, not sure what it could do. The side channels are held on with adhesive tape, and then the corrugated sheet is slid in to it.

Attachments

wb1895

They are called fratricide panels. They stay cooler than the rest of the truck, so when the vehicle is viewed through thermals, The panel shows up as a different color. Thus identifying the vehicle as a friendly

pad_cdr

Just did a search on the numbers -- I tried it before with no luck, but now it comes up with a couple of hits that are somewhat cryptic, but I think it may be some sort of louvered identification panel.

Now the question would be for what, FLIR, Thermal, IR, Other?

3cavtanker

Yes, CIP (Combat ID Panels), AKA "Reverse Polarity Panels". when viewed through thermal sights or FLIR, they show up as the polar opposite of hot. So in Black hot, they appear white and in white hot they appear black. They will only function when "turned on", with the "on" side facing out (see the "this side off" stencil. Functioning has to do with the thermal tape (looks like muffler tape) on one side of the panel rather than the actual temperature of the panel, as they still work quite well in Iraq where everything is well over 100 degrees, even the panels.

nattieleather

So that is kind of a low tech IFF system is what y'all are saying. Bad guys light up all hot while a good guy have a big cold spot thus don't shoot his butt. Very cool!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks