• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Idea who made this steering Mod?

restlessrobie

SO I have inherited a mess of an M211 and have a few of the problems fixed but the one that is giving me the most trouble is the Power steering Mod the previous owner has performed. To make a long story short it appears that the original stearing box was removed and the shaft cut off and welded in place to the cab. The end of the shaft has a universal joint welded to it and then makes a steep 35-45 angle out of the cab through a hole cut in the fire wall. That attached to the gear box seen in the picture and attaches to a rather large modified pitman arm. Which is also attached to a ram which is a little short as installed and does not allow for complete Right Hand turning. The gear box appears to be a power unit but the welded together drag links look a little scary as well. So if anyone recognizes this kit I would love to find some actual install instructions before I yank the whole mess out and start over.
Thanks in advance as always
20160820_164732.jpg20160820_164726.jpg20160820_164750.jpg

jbayer

I don't think any "kit" would supply, or have you weld up a pitman arm like that. That's an accident waiting to happen. Looks a backyard bonehead mod.

Last edited:

rustystud

You didn't show any of the steering column pictures but the only problem I see is the drag-link. Get that fixed and you will have a pretty good power steering unit on your hands. You can adjust the linkage to give you the proper turning radius you need if you get a "proper" drag-link . If the steering gear was not welded then you can get a "bus" steering column that would work great here. Tomorrow I will take a picture of a column I have that has a tilt wheel to show you what I mean.

P.S. That unit looks like an IHC model out of a "LoadStar" .

Last edited:

Section8

Hmm. Interfesting.
If it is a loastar system it must be a newer steering box. The one on my 1600 looks different. Mine also doesn't have the (hydraulic ram) which I believe is a shock absorber to dampen steering shock on rough terrain. Or to help return steering to centre line.
Way scary back yard mod. I would hope the rig never hit the pavement and was always used in the Bush or farm fields.
If you rip it apart to start over I would definitely pull the steering column from an International 1600 loastar. As Rustystud pointed out, not only does it have two u joints for angle correction and tilt steering it has collapsible shafts to adjust for you steering wheel to gear box lengths.

rustystud

Hmm. Interfesting.
If it is a loastar system it must be a newer steering box. The one on my 1600 looks different. Mine also doesn't have the (hydraulic ram) which I believe is a shock absorber to dampen steering shock on rough terrain. Or to help return steering to centre line.
Way scary back yard mod. I would hope the rig never hit the pavement and was always used in the Bush or farm fields.
If you rip it apart to start over I would definitely pull the steering column from an International 1600 loastar. As Rustystud pointed out, not only does it have two u joints for angle correction and tilt steering it has collapsible shafts to adjust for you steering wheel to gear box lengths.
Actually the older 1960's Loadstars used this system and the ram does power the drag-link. The lines and valve at the top of steering gear just provide fluid direction. It was a kind of safety feature. The steering gear was a standard unit so adding the power ram gave you the power steering, but if the hydraulics failed then you still had the standard steering gear.
My "Loadstar 1800" is a 1968 and it has this system on it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks