• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Ideas of clutch inspection?

NovacaineFix

This may sound weird or strange but I figure I would ask.

I just wanted to inspect my clutch on my 818 to see if it is worn down or if it is just a pedal adjustment or whatever.
Before anyone tells me to read the TM, I have. I have removed the 6 bolts and looked into the inspection cover but all I can see is the pressure plate and a grease fitting for the throw-out bearing that has probably not been greased in some time. More on that later.

The only other way, besides taking the trans out, to see the clutch disc I think is possibly removing the starter. I may be able to see the edge of the clutch disc and determine how much of it is left.

The reason?
I wanted to take my 818 on a field trip, round trip is about 350 miles, but I noticed the clutch seems to be grabbing at the very top when releasing the pedal. I know this could be an adjustment, but I was curious to know if there is any other way to see the disc without removing the trans. I even stuck a remote fiber-optic camera up the inspection window, but I cannot make the turn beyond the throwout bearing to see the disc.
Everything is running fine, clutch works, just high on the pedal, no problems, but I don't want to assume and have a clutch go out on my trip if I can help it

Okay, now about the throwout bearing.
Does anyone know what combination of fittings are required to grease the throwout bearing?
I can see it and feel it, but every combination of fitting and adapter I have seems to be either offset by the throwout shaft or the edge of the pressure plate. I was thinking a straight tubing piece that comes with most grease guns would work, but then it's up against the crossmember.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the lost post, the result of having too many adult beverages and internet surfing, ha ha.

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neither of the methods I know of for measuring the clutch in place are really gonna tell you anything. It's hard to read the thickness of the disc, and different manufacturers may make it impossible to determine. And, if you measure the finger height of the pressure plate fingers, you will need the exact clutch cover that's being used as the standard.

I'd go ahead and adjust the clutch for proper pedal height and then take it out on the road and assess the clutch by seeing how it pulls high gear: Dump the clutch going into 4th or 5th and listen to see if the engine RPM's either match immediately to the new gear or if they slip in to match the speed.

Greasing the T/O bearing? Got no answers there. I guess you should drive it frequently to keep it moving freely.

Rick

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For Allis Chalmers tractors and GMC trucks when I worked at a shop the test run by factory techs was with it in high gear, brakes locked, medium throttle, release the clutch and see how long it takes to kill the motor. If it kills quickly, you are OK. If it drags down rather slowly then there is a problem. Yes, first be sure your adjustment is right. You will not damage anything doing this a time or two.
Sometimes grabbing clutches were helped by burning them in for a short time by with the brakes locked and medium throttle, let the clutch out until it is laboring the motor for about 3 or 4 seconds, release and see if it helped. Be sure not to do this too long and overheat components.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks