• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ANY INFORMATION ON INSTALLING SERIES 18 WINCH IN A 1165a1

D Foster

Hello, I have purchased a Warn Series 18 winch that was advertised as for a Humvee. I have found they usually install the series 12 in the Humvees. The series 18 is a little longer (26.51") where the series 12 is 26.25". Can anyone tell me how much frame clearance they have with the Warn series 12 winch? I am hoping mine will fit? Thanks for the assist.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hello, I have purchased a Warn Series 18 winch that was advertised as for a Humvee. I have found they usually install the series 12 in the Humvees. The series 18 is a little longer (26.51") where the series 12 is 26.25". Can anyone tell me how much frame clearance they have with the Warn series 12 winch? I am hoping mine will fit? Thanks for the assist.
18 is 2inches wider. 2 inches taller. Depth is near the same.

Guess you can hang your hmmwv and 2 others up in a tree together

Attachments

D Foster

18 is 2inches wider. 2 inches taller. Depth is near the same.

Guess you can hang your hmmwv and 2 others up in a tree together
I checked with Warn winches. He advised me that some series 18 winches have shorter drums making them very close to the series 12 winches. My series 18 is about 1/4" longer in width. I would not have purchased this if it wasn't used on humvee's but again it was advertised for Hummer. Guess I should have done more research before trusting the ad as being correct. Thanks anyway for you input. I'll look for a tree.

Action

I checked with Warn winches. He advised me that some series 18 winches have shorter drums making them very close to the series 12 winches. My series 18 is about 1/4" longer in width. I would not have purchased this if it wasn't used on humvee's but again it was advertised for Hummer. Guess I should have done more research before trusting the ad as being correct. Thanks anyway for you input. I'll look for a tree.
Have you measured the space between your frame rail extensions yet?

Action

No, The probem is that I just purchased the HMMWV from govPlanet and waiting for govt. approval. I was hoping someone else could take a measurement for me.
Maybe ask for dimension of space between the frame rail extensions instead of asking how much clearance around a winch that probably none of us have in the HMMWV?
Did you buy a particular model HMMWV? or just a humvee?

Did you buy winch...

NSN #:
3950-01-610-7413
Part #:

If so, that is for an MRAP.

Fits: 2 1/2 Ton Military Truck 5 Ton Military Truck 7 Ton Military Truck

• M35, M35A1, M35A2, M35A3, M36, M36A1, M36A2, M36A3,M275, M109, M109A1, M109A3, M109A4 2 ½ Ton Trucks
  • M939, M939A1, M939A2, M923, M923A1, M923A2, M925, M925A1, M925A2, M927, M927A1, M927A2, M929, M929A1, M929A2, M930, M930A1, M930A2, M931, M931A1, M931A2, M54, M809, M813, M814, M816, M817, M818, M820 5-Ton Trucks
  • MRAP

Last edited:

D Foster

Maybe ask for dimension of space between the frame rail extensions instead of asking how much clearance around a winch that probably none of us have in the HMMWV?
Did you buy a particular model HMMWV? or just a humvee?

Did you buy winch...

NSN #:
3950-01-610-7413
Part #:

If so, that is for an MRAP.
I purchase a 2007 M1165A1. Unfortunately I already purchased the winch being advertised for a Humvee. The winch is working.

D Foster

There are only 2 mil winch’s that work on the front of a hmmwv, Milemarker and Warns 12 series...the issue is the frame
width.
Thanks, The guy I bought this from now says he mounts one from his pintle. That of course means its hangs out. He problably advertises for HMMWV as he would not sell many if he stated series 18 for the MRAP vehicle. Not a bad deal for $1,000 if you can use it, oh well.

Action

Space between frame rail extensions is roughly 24 1/4". Not counting the bolt heads. The inside of the extensions is smooth. There is also the lower radiator mounting bracket and lower radiator hose. I have the UCP skid plate installed, so I do not have real easy access in there.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the information. From all information I have received doesn't look like it will work. I will probably end up selling the series 18 winch and remote. Take Care, Dennis
Shoot me a pm with what you want for it in cash. Picked up from you.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a side note, where are all the winches going that were on the auction trucks? The lot of trucks I bought from last month, of which there were 80 for sale, I only remember a handful having winches still installed. Anybody know where they are at lol?

D Foster

On a side note, where are all the winches going that were on the auction trucks? The lot of trucks I bought from last month, of which there were 80 for sale, I only remember a handful having winches still installed. Anybody know where they are at lol?
I know the guy I had purchased the series 18 winch from was from Maryland. I believe he was purchasing his winches from auctions on the east coast south areas. Of course these came off larger vehicles and not humvees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks