• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

any interest in saving an old earthmover?

tom11919

My grandpa is getting ready to scrap out an old Corps of Engineers earthmover / pan and I thought I'd see if anybody might be interested in it before we light up the torch. I don't really think it'd be worth the trouble to try to actually use it to move dirt, but it might be an interesting static display somewhere. Scrap steel is bringing 15c/lb and the transportation data plate says it weighs 15k lbs so if someone will give me scrap price they can come get it. I'll even drag it out of the woods for you.

Contrary to what it says in my location information, the pan in located just north of Columbus, Georgia.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
bet with tires and cable rigged from a twin pcu on the back of a old D7, it would work just fine, the hold up would be finding a twin pcu dozer

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's in Alaska, it will be hard to find someone up there interested in restoring it. And it's a LONG haul to the southern 48 states for anyone else. It's a shame, that's a neat piece of equipment, wonder what it's job was up there in the great north....

tom11919

bet with tires and cable rigged from a twin pcu on the back of a old D7, it would work just fine, the hold up would be finding a twin pcu dozer
With the right tractor you could definitely move a lot of dirt, but like you said, the trick would be finding a D6 or D7 with a double drum winch. The data plate says it has a 9 yd capacity.

A little background on it: my grandpa originally bought (horse-traded, more likely) it to build a lake on his property but never got around to it. It's sat in that spot for the last 25 years. Growing up, my friends and I used to play all over it. It was, on various occasions, a spaceship, sherman tank, fortress, castle, pirate ship, and (as we got a little older) a paintball bunker. I'd much rather it stay in one piece than melted down and sent to China.

91W350

If it's in Alaska, it will be hard to find someone up there interested in restoring it. And it's a LONG haul to the southern 48 states for anyone else. It's a shame, that's a neat piece of equipment, wonder what it's job was up there in the great north....
It is just north of Columbus GA according to his post.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duh, I read the first paragraph and his location, didn't even see the GA location of the pan.

With all the GA people we have here, it needs to be saved!

hoop

Rant..........
I love this...I will take scrap price....
1...you do not have to spend money on supplies to cut it up.
2...you do not have to spend your time cutting it up.
3...you do not have to spend your time loading and moving it to the scrap yard.

Please come save this piece of history and pay me top scrap price for it so I do not have to do anything.

Done.

Thank You.

tom11919

Monday is the deadline. My grandpa was going to cut it up this afternoon but I talked him into a short reprieve. If nobody steps forward by the first of the week its going to the scrapyard.

And I was just told that the going price is 13.5c/lb. Hey, if nothing else, it has one 14.00/20 NDT that's in decent shape that I'm sure someone on here can use.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well it is a D7, like you put in your earlier post. I am not familar with the winch set-up.
What does it need then???
A Power Control Unit (PCU) is different then a winch, has ONLY ONE direction of pull, different clutch and brake set up, a lot LESS line pull, has a lot thiner cable, also a self contained unit with controls, ect, and a consent turning driveshaft, a lot lighter build, not designed to pull a load like a tree or a stuck truck,ect., a winch has the controls are on the dozer, a lot heavier build, drive shaft only runs when needed. you CAN jerk a PCU off a dozer while though can be done with a winch, you REALLY have to work at it

It has a single PCU on the back, needs a twin PCU, if a cable blade also, then a front mounted PCU as well, That dozer is to light, a ww2 D7 is a lot lighter then even a 60s D6, a 9 yd scraper takes a very healthy dozer to work it without a pusher, In vietnam, we had some modern dozers with hyd. blades but the twin PCU for cable cans

Last edited:

bearboley

It takes a D8 with a PCU and one behind pushing to make it work right. Sure you could hook it to a smaller dozer if you had the controller to lift the bowel and make the apron work so you could unload it but you would just scratch with it not actually use it to its full potential. The price is not far off I've seen these with hydraulic winches mounted on them to operate the pan and pull them with a BIG 4 wheel drive farm tractor 400+hp sell for alot more than 2500 bucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks