• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any issues towing a M116a2 with a Dodge 1/2 ton?

warlord381

Recently got my "paid in full" invoice for a MEP003a mounted on a M116a2 trailer (will post pics). I plan on towing it with my 04 Ram 1/2 ton 4x4 (about 70 miles). I know its a 3/4 ton trailer but with the genny this is gonna be a heavy rig. Any advice/concerns/comments? This is my first m116 trailer so I'm not sure what to expect.

AaronW

Without knowing all the weights involved, I think you will be OK. You will need a set of magnetic trailer lights or a similar setup.

Have you seen/inspected the trailer up close? A better idea would be to bring a car trailer w/electric brakes with you. Load your new toy on that for the trip home.

coyotegray

You will be fine.. I tow my 003 on a 116 behind my 06 Tahoe without any issues..

Like AaronW said, get magnetic lights.

Just check the tires, etc like you normally would..?

You might consider getting/taking a spare with you.

You might take a little DOT5 with you just in case you're lucky and the surge brakes work..

ETA. You can also make some safety chains. The military ones do not reach far enough for my Tahoe.
I have used 5/16 chain about 25" long. I just take a pair of bolt cutters, snip the old chain leaving the last link and replace it with the new one..

This is the pintle setup I have. It's off of a Hmmvw. Got it from Saturn Surplus. The mount was custom made..
It will rotate if your driving off road and not bind up..

Andy..

Attachments

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shouldn't have any problems. As mentioned, bring magnetic lights and be sure to have a pintle hitch. These trailers tow very well.

warlord381

Good info on the safety chains Coyotegray! I didnt think about the existing ones being to short! I'll hit Tractor Supply before I head out. I have the DOT5 and magnetic brake lights. What size wheel should I bring as a spare?

coyotegray

Good info on the safety chains Coyotegray! I didnt think about the existing ones being to short! I'll hit Tractor Supply before I head out. I have the DOT5 and magnetic brake lights. What size wheel should I bring as a spare?
Post pics but they should be Chev 16" 8 lug..

ETA: The tires on mine are LT235/85R16..

Andy..

Last edited:

L999here

....trailer...

Unless you have a chance to inspect and check it out....I'd get a trailer. Since the equipment is smaller than a duce....I agree a car trailer should do you fine. Better than taking a chance for even a short 50 mile trip.