• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any issues with running glasspacks on 1985 M1008

ChrisG

Well this weekend I decided to cut off the mufflers and tailpipes because they tailpipes were so out of whack and rusted with pin holes. I replaced with just glass packs for now and will be getting new tailpipes custom bent to go straight out the back,down pipes are like new.
Is this setup ok to run?
Few things I have noticed after putting these on are the drone roar has been considerably reduced and there is actual throttle response now and the engine doesn't seem to click a clack so loudly. The truck is actually quieter in general as well which to me is very counter intuitive compared to a gas engine with glass packs.
The truck sat for three yrs before I bought it I am wondering if the mufflers were plugged with maybe mouse nests or just plugged in general causing some restriction, just feels like it is breathing now. The truck is a 85 M1008 with 6.2

tourus

just so you know I have had "glass packs on a M1010 for about 8 years now I bought the whole exhaust through NAPA from manifolds back FACTORY bolt in have had no promble until just last winter some rust hole the whole thing if I recall was around 400$$ BOTH SIDES so just some thing to think about the counter person has to look in books but it is there . there was Three options the glass packs were like 40.00 $$ each

Barrman

Mechanically, they shouldn't effect anything on the engine. I have a Cherry Bomb 2 into 1 chamber muffler on my 6.2 powered M715. It sure has a nice bark to it around 2400 rpm and up. I am sure your glass packs bark a bit as well.

ChrisG

Thats the strangest part Barrman it is surprisingly quiet, it was deafening the way it was before. Again very counter intuitive compared to throwing this same setup on a SBC or BBC it would be a very loud exhaust. I have noticed a slight decrease in fuel mileage also. This good be because it seems a little more "freed up" now and doesn't seem so high strung and Iam a little more heavy footed with it.

badassissimo

Ya, my exhaust got holes on my c10 truck and it sounded louder than trucks with bigger engines. I imagine your new exhaust sounds quieter because the truck is being muted by the acoustics of your new, sealed exhaust. That's actually a residual component of exhaust. Exhaust systems are purposely designed since some date I can't remember to muffle pollution and sound. I found this out when I was trying to look into new exhaust for my truck until I decided to scrap it instead since the truck needed so much repair anyway.