• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any "mechanically unsavvy" owners?

toomanyhobbies

I am new to deuces and this forum and have enjoyed researching the different threads. I have seen a couple of people mention that the deuces are designed for the 19 year old new soldier and therefore relatively easy to work on. I am wondering if anyone who isn't mechanically savvy owns a deuce and what route they have taken to maintain it. Personally I would prefer to take it to a mechanic to repair/service 1) so I know it has a higher chance of being done right and 2) so it can be done quickly and I can get back to enjoying driving it. :) I realize this may sound like a wuss but over the years I have found Clint Eastwood's quote to be true "Mans got to know his limitations"

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you can work on a 1965 D300 Dodge, this is no different, with the exception of needing to know diesel troubleshooting.

You have to learn somewhere. good luck paying someone to work on one of these.

Best advice? Download the TM's-read em. Then read the deuce forum threads from page 1. It'll take a while. Take a few weeks to do this.

Then come back and see how you feel.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
While the deuce is a pretty basic vehicle that is not to say it doesn't have it's oddities and quirks.
Unless you have an old school mechanic that is experienced with 24 volt systems, air over hydrolic brakes and the multi-fuel engine you might have a difficult time finding someone to do maintainence for you.
That is why we all love SS......by networking with fellow MV addicts (hey...the truth is the truth) you can find plenty of folks that will help you if you decide to take the plunge.
Attending rallys is an excellent way of meeting folks and learning how to work on MV's.

91W350

I never knew how to work on a 1948 CJ2A, until I bought one. I could not afford to pay somebody else to do it. I found an old Motors Manual and started reading. That was 1971 and I never stopped. Kick off your shoes, sit back and read a little. It will not take long to decide that you have stumbled upon the best resource in the world for your deuce.... 5ton... CUCV... M715... Dodge Power.... Enjoy the ride, Glen

Reactions: emr

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best way to improve your limitations is to take on new challenges, and learn from them. Documentation on Deuces is excellent and easily available on this site and elsewhere. Excellent advice is available also and oftentimes you will find people willing to physically help you in addition to providing good advice. Owning a Deuce is a learning experience and a good one. You will learn a lot.

If you do need to take it to someone else for service, try to find an ex-military mechanic that has worked on Deuces or at least other MVs with 24V systems and diesels, preferably at a heavy truck garage. Since I procured my Deuce, I have run into several ex-military mechanics that approached me to talk about the Deuce and mentioned that they worked on Deuces while in the militaryand offered assistance if needed. Deuces attract a lot of attention wherever you go.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no limitations:p..... if I don't know what I am doing I learn it while doing it.
:ditto:

And if you really want to learn how to do something, really screw it up the first time ;-). After you do than you'll learn how to fix it right and remember that lesson for the rest of your life.

Just about anybody can learn to work on these vehicles if they want to learn how.

I am very picky about vehicle repairs. I'd rather do them myself to be sure they are done right. I have taken stuff to shops before because I didn't have time to do it myself. I have almost always been disappointed with either the quality of work or price or both. Sure, sometimes I'll screw stuff up doing it myself but I'll be darned if I'm going to pay somebody to screw it up.

tiger422

I wish you were closer to me I would be glad to work on it and get paid.
You should be able to find a old school mechanic some where around you.
He will still need the TMs for some repairs.
Jim

jmh4x4

The best part about owning the duece is the amount of TM's that have picture how too's. I jumped feet first into owning one, downloaded all the TM's read them over, and keep them in a binder in the truck, if you have the paitence, you can walk yourself through almost every PM needed.

When the TM leaves you puzzled, thats when the SS Gods on the website are so helpfull.

That being said, you need the right tools, your 1/2 socket set wont get you very far. Your gonna need to invest into some larger sockets and wrenches and alot of degreaser:wink:

ctmustang

Welcome sir
If you have any questions or need any help just pm me. There's nothing better than spending some time working on green stuff no matter what it is.
C.T.

littlebob

I am new to deuces and this forum and have enjoyed researching the different threads. I have seen a couple of people mention that the deuces are designed for the 19 year old new soldier and therefore relatively easy to work on. I am wondering if anyone who isn't mechanically savvy owns a deuce and what route they have taken to maintain it. Personally I would prefer to take it to a mechanic to repair/service 1) so I know it has a higher chance of being done right and 2) so it can be done quickly and I can get back to enjoying driving it. :) I realize this may sound like a wuss but over the years I have found Clint Eastwood's quote to be true "Mans got to know his limitations"
How big is your wallet? You would have to find a mechanic that may be hard to find. I would find a couple mechanics before I bought a truck. And then try to find out what they would charge. Also if your mechanic isn't willing to take the time to read the TM's and do the proper procedures, He may screw up as much as he fixes
costing you more.
I wish you luck if you dive in, just don't want you to end up with a yard ornament.

toomanyhobbies

Welcome sir
If you have any questions or need any help just pm me. There's nothing better than spending some time working on green stuff no matter what it is.
C.T.

Thanks CT, I really appreciate your willingness to help. I am encouraged by every one's belief in being able to learn how to work on the deuce. I definitely fall into the category of learning by screwing it up but hey, no biggie.

I am still researching and saving but I am thinking an m109 camper might be fun to start with. :)

I look forward to learning and getting to know everyone.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you don't need a cargo truck a M109 is a great vehicle......all the perks of the deuce and a hooch on the back. If you need to haul something you can always hook a decent sized trailer (I had a bolster trailer with a cargo bed set on it) behind it and carry a big load.

area52

Personally I would prefer to take it to a mechanic to repair/service 1) so I know it has a higher chance of being done right and 2) so it can be done quickly and I can get back to enjoying driving it. :)"

I have seen quite a few "mechanics" claim to know what they are doing and A) not get "it" right, B) charge out the wazoo while doing this and take forever to do it.
Read on here, read the TM's, talk to people on here, try to go and see someone local that has one, and don't use it or count on it for a daily driver until you are comfortable with it. Just have fun and learn.

Good luck.

91W350

...don't use it or count on it for a daily driver until you are comfortable with it. Just have fun and learn.

Good luck.
I agree with that, I am still in that stage with my M1009 (Blazer), it is running good, but I have others. I am getting comfortable enough with it now....I am about ready to take a long trip with it. I made a few 100 to 300 mile days with it. I guess it ran over 400 the day we brought it home. I have fixed a few little issues....the biggie being that it no longer drains back fuel and will not start after 12 hours... That was a learning experience for me, just followed a few threads and life is good!! Glen

Katahdin

I'm looking forward to learning about my new deuce, I think its great so much knowledge is documented on this site and everyone is so helpful. The PMs are great.

You might need need the skills when you can't get to a mechanic. Ie Saturday night I lost 4 wheel drive on my plow truck in the snowstorm here in the North East. Try pushing snow with one-wheel traction. Luckily I was able to trace the problem back to the actuator, in less then a hours time and a $60 part I was back behind the wheel clearing my 400' driveway before a auto shop was open to take appointments.

rabrownmk

Definitely make sure you do your homework on shops before you take a vehicle (esp. a deuce) to them. If you take it to a shop that doesn't have a lot of experience with them, they will only guess at possible solutions. Since you wont know much about it, their explanation will sound correct. But guess what happens when that XXXX dollar repair doesn't fix the problem? You still have to pay for what they've already done, and you will still have to pay for their other guesses. If the shop guessed wrong, they will still charge you. You authorized the work, and you have to pay not only for that part, but for the labor they spent doing it. I have a 7.3l diesel F-350, and they can have quirky problems just like any other car. Only diesel parts aren't cheap, and you can rack up quite the bill with guesswork...Like others have said, do your research, learn your own particular vehicle, and if you have questions, search for the answer first, then ask the question if you cannot find it. Not only will it be cheaper, but you will be amazed at how good it feels to diagnose, solve, and repair your own vehicle.:-D

TheOxman

I know almost nothing about vehicles. I only started doing my own oil changes on my Explorer in 2009. I have found the members on SS AND the technical orders to be extremely helpful and easy to follow.

srodocker

shoot im not mechanically inclined that well im on the other end of the spectrum and know about computers. But im reading the TM's and reading posts to get me more familiar with the deuce. Shoot im getting together a mini rally to get some first hand experience on them :)