• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any members in Puerto Rico own m35a2's?

prebanbilly

Hey guys is there any steel soldiers members in Puerto Rico or know any one there that owns a deuce? Well the reason i'm asking is cause i'm going to move down there within the next few months and i want to buy a deuce locally here in florida and ship her down when i move. the question is do i need a cdl for it down there or is t like here in florida were a normal licence is good enough ? Also tried a search for any local pr mv clubs and turned up only one, I called a few times to the president and he wont call me back:-x any info would be great!
thanks prebanbilly.

Crackerjax

man there is tons of old cars and military stuff there.... found 2 b-52's in the woods once mostly intact near the ex Ramey AFB which is now a coast guard base....as far as I know your cool with regular license...I dont think many of the people there have one anyway the way they drive it seems like. good luck, what part you moving to? the cool thing about PR is that during the cold war sailors and airmen would bring all kinda nice cars and such with them and when they left the cars stayed.... and as far as the military go's I think all they have left is the coast guard base....all the other ones got shutdown they were getting ready to close the navy base when I left there in 03

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the past 2 years I have seen about a half dozen M35's auctioned in PR by GL, so if you want to avoid $2.5k shipping fees, you may want to look into that. May take awhile, but money saved is...... money saved.

Como esta Espanol de usted? you may have more "hits" using spanish, if you have not done so.

Rick

prebanbilly

Happy new year! thanks for the info guys . I will check out GL down there . also my Spanish is a little off though i can understand most of it but to write it may be a little hard till i get accustomed to it down there. I looked at the GL web site and i did a search and it said no GL members at that facility . maybe that cause there's nothing there ? i did score a 66 cj5 already
in puerto rico.

prebanbilly

crackerjax im moving to Naranjito which is in the eastern central part up in the mountains.
close to Bayamon, and probably 30 min to sanjuan via the new interstate. got a House on top of a hill with a view you can almost see the coast! when i get down there i'll post some pics.
btw Rick have you ever heard of Military Vehicle Preservation Foundation of Puerto Rico "Borinqueneers"? I've been trying to call the club to get info and get involved there and maybe one of there members has a m35a2 they might want to sell.

Crackerjax

Well have fun I was at Aguadilla for a while it was fun ...when you get there check out my friend Don-Q I also noticed your screen name.... the gun laws are not good atleast when I was there... also check out the Bioluminesent bay in Vieques... its cool at heck on a new moon at midnight. there is alot to do. I had fun for the time I was down there ... atleast the parts I can remember........ as far as drivig there in an armytruck no thanks ... you already cant park a car anyplace and the traffic as I recall was horrid... I really liked Moca though... stayed in a house up in the mountans for a bit and did some plumbing for the locals.

allrevup

Not too sure about MV's there now, they were common back in the 60's & 70's. I had seen a lot of surplus in GL in the last 4-5 years so some must still be there.

The Car, (Truck, Boats & MC's) culture is alive and well. If you have the cash or the connections you can find amassing vehicles in Puerto Rico. "La Fievre" (The fiver) is still alive supper clean classic Muscle cars, MC's and Sports car and the Imports rivals the best any where in the world. People are "Car Crazy" locals rather drive over to say "HOLA" as they call and talk to you on the cell phone! Incredible for such a small island country to have so many cars. Most city daily drivers look like part of a demolition Derby, but at any of the many shows and competition tracks you will say "WOW" a lot.
Go to "youtube" and see what I mean.
"Good Luck" with info call back proto-calls they are out playings with their toys, I can't wait to return.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My old Army Reserve unit had a brigade stationed down there.... I never got to make the trip. You might check and see what Nat Guard and Reserve units are located there.
I have been told that theft is rampant there. Our unit had an ongoing problem with stuff being stolen off the ranges (target vehicles and copper wiring for the automated targets).
There is prob not a lot of vehicles sold there via GL.
The Nat Guard can sell their own stuff through state (on in the case or PR, territory) sales.

allrevup

My old Army Reserve unit had a brigade stationed down there.... I never got to make the trip. You might check and see what Nat Guard and Reserve units are located there.
I have been told that theft is rampant there. Our unit had an ongoing problem with stuff being stolen off the ranges (target vehicles and copper wiring for the automated targets).
There is prob not a lot of vehicles sold there via GL.
The Nat Guard can sell their own stuff through state (on in the case or PR, territory) sales.

Times are difficult there, with officially 15% unemployment (probably higher) and with one of the best educated populous in the USA.
You have a large number of people with college education looking at positions with low paying starting wages. It is a very competitive job market.

Every few years at referendums;
47-48% pro Statehood
47-48% pro status quo: Commonwealth or some kind of Partnership W. USA.
3-6% collectively for some autonomy

in the mean time, some see the outing of the American bases as a way to stick it to the USA.

allrevup

I know is over a year, if still interested I found near Arecibo, a M35 enthusiast with 4 of then and a few other toys, send me a private message for email contact

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
My experience there is based on the San Juan and Juana Diaz areas. If you're a tourist, great. For the most part you're safe cause they want you back for the next vacation to spend even more money. If you're living there, that's a heck of a leap.

If you are on the north side of the island, expect the truck to have/get a lot of rust. The south side is drier and the rust issue is A LOT less. Most vehicles in DRMO are sold for scrap. Those that are not, now get sent to Eglin. Those that are scrap, the DRMO guy personally oversees the torching of each and everyone of them. If he doesn't, he knows what would happen....he'd see them driving down the road. Last month I saw a 5 ton there that you could pass basketballs through the rust holes in the bed. Expect anything coming out of Ft Buchannon to be nearly a total loss and rusted to the ground.

Just get a 5 ton. They have only one weigh station on the island so who cares.

Crime is an issue with theft being the major issue. Everyhouse you see has bars on the window.

Unless you are from there, you are an outsider. Expect to get hosed on every deal possible.

Traffic and general safety---I wouldn't let my kids or wife out on or near a road. They drive like NYC but at even higher speeds. Scares the crap out of any sane person (good thing I'm not sane).

allrevup

I guess, I seen photo shop images (I would love to post then, or the links but he is not a SS member and they are not mine) of his very nice M35's videos on parade for the 2010 basketball tournament championship. With winch, super singles, troop seats and a lot of other guddys, as if they just came out of storage.

Trucks and parts can and are shipped there from suppliers around the world including Murry's in Dover, Delaware. That is how from an employ, I learn and was reintroduced to a former neighboor and motor head enthusiast, a local in the North side of the Island, who had very successful buisness... school bus(s), crane and wreckers service and making "Ornamental Iron Works" a Spanish home tradition for safety and decor, or for as you aluded too... the theft and rusting.

I agree with "some" of your comments, I feel that way in many places during my travels around the main land. Specially the Urban (think metro Atlanta) Derby style of driving in the North East Atlantic corridor during rush hours, "Lo Que Serra. Serra"

Attachments

Last edited:

allrevup

I send my friend in Puerto Rico a link to steel soldiers and in particular to the Deuce forum.

He call me today asking for advice on how to prosed with a Deuce Bob. I know nothing about deuces other then a few treads I looked into with out much research and some post among other by Milliondollarman.
I know he is capable of the project, he has work with heavy equipment and has over 40 years of welding background and is a good Craftsman/artisan but said that there are none that he is aware of in P.R., obviously language is an issue.
I am willing to help, I believe there are several ways of going about it...bolts, welding, suspension and choice of wheels & tires.
I know from todays conversation he has an M35A1 a, M35A2 (that one I seen lots of photos and is in great condition) and a M35A3 and a 5ton. something or the other.
He was thinking of Bobbing the A3, I ask about the condition and he told me about as good as his A2, witch I say is very good. I know is hard to envision with out photos, but in a nut shell what are the different approaches springs and suspensions seamed to be his main douts and what is the S.S consensus if there is such, would make a better candidate?
I imaging the added electrical, pneumatic and hydraulics in the A3 probably would make it the most difficult?
He told me that he has a trailer, I think an M105 as is a 1 1/4 ton. but he does not want to use it. He is willing to cut down and used the M35 bed. I just don't know were to send him for direction and approach to beguine with. Just today spike TV showed again the extreme 4x4 air bagger with multi links and he said he can and has done that for non military applications. But that he would rather do leaf springs and wants to make it a militarish hydraulic dump bed (he has several old dump trucks to pick from) for the fun of it.

Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks