• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any members own a wood gas powered mv?

Sumoman

Don't forget you can also add an HHO setup to provide an extra bump to the woodgas. FEMA has a pdf you can get on the internet that gives the basics. Just make sure you adapt it to an Imbert as it creates higher temps needed to crack the tars. Also the wood does have to have a 20% moisture content or less. We get around new / green wood by having bought a nifty dehumidifier from GL that drops it to 2%, and then is placed outside to normalize.

Just think all those free wood chips from a tree company could be fueling your MV:-D

Sumoman

I would just like to add that this works great in a GAS engine. The issue with a MV, in the case of a multi-fuel is the need for lube which is why 100% gas is not suggested. To get around this you would have to develop a simple system to drip UMO or another heavy lube directly into the fuel system but at a much lower rate, just enough to keep the system lubed. The HHO set up would do wonders to add the needed boost in power. I believe this system will work great on a deuce, and will actually be working on it for the heck of it. I already have HHO and it does work. I have the PDF from FEMA on how to build a wood gas generator for a truck, pm me if you want it (include you email). This PDF includes very specific instructions on how to build this. You could have one up and running in a month if your handy and have scrap metal laying around.

madsam

I have thought about playing with that, but I think roger-wilco-66 is right. for every day use it would be a pain. But if we ever do run out of gas, which I doubt, it is nice to know this alturnitive works too.

I think you would have to be a pickup to carry enough wood to run on to get home. At that point maybe steam cars would be more efficient.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some were actually highly developed, this on recirculates some of the unburned CO2 (carbon dioxide) gases and claims to be up and running in 15 minutes with a pound for pound equivalent fuel milage to gasoline (I'm pretty sure that was the claim)....doesn't sound right...another check for the to-do-list...

Attachments

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

Gentlemen,
I have been looking for a way to run an engine on wood for years. This thread has caught my eye. My family is always looking for a use for the TONS and TONS of mulch we grind each year and then have to give away or spread out in the woods and hope it rots. My brother has a grinder with a 350 HP engine turning the grinder. It's big. Please post any info you run across. I haven't had time to read all of this, but it looks like I have a new project.

Thanks,
Joe

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, you could use a set-up shown schematically here to run a genset.
The blower is only used during start-up. and the gas engine keeps the flow of air going thru the gasifier unit by the vacuum it creates.
I have briefly looked at propane hook-up for carburetors, which is very similar and the conversion is simple.
You'll find a number of sites on the web with building instructions. Build one from junk around your yard and with your welding skills.

Edit: Right click and open link in new window for full res.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some interesting reading about the "Kalle" unit.
http://www.hotel.ymex.net/~s-20222/gengas/kg_eng.html

"Further experiments showed, that the best effect was gained by an adding of about 17% CO 2 to the gasifier, which, under the condition that all of that was turned into CO, results in a significant saving of charcoal."

"The temperature in the oxidation zone is in this way automatically regulated down to 1000°--900°C, and I can mention that it keeps itself remarkably constant around that even for different loads. Naturally, this is so because the CO 2 is added proportionally to the need for primary air."

"A radius of operation of 150km per filling is not uncommon for smaller cars."

"Correctly maintained, the gasifier can be started from cold condition in 30 seconds. It can stand 6--7 hours without having to be lighten again."

SsjSned

Just for you guys my favorite woodgas site: Woodgas for alternative energy - biomass hydrogen syngas fuel
I click mike LaRosa on the left and scroll down to his link to his galleries of self built woodgas powered trucks
Index of /~mlarosa/images/woodgas
he dosent write much but his pictures speak a thousand words and theres hundreds of em. This site really is a teasure trove of info. I enjoy woodgas as a hobbie myself and recently bought a 1/2 ton chevy 305 for a hundred bucks just for my Gasser project and hav taken designs from all over and drew up my own gassifier and hav been sourceing materials to build my own. another great site is KP
the website at Knowledge dosent show all the books on woodgas but they send u a catalog free when u buy a book which lists over 10 woodgas books Worth buying IMO. Maybe ill post my gassifier blueprints for u guys. Id like to see a dodge cucv converted camo + woodgas = Badass hehe

johnnypayphone

I have thought about playing with that, but I think roger-wilco-66 is right. for every day use it would be a pain.

Well, it's a "pain" in relationship to your situation. It's the challenge of any alt fuels project to make sure the money saved is worth your time. There are lots of people (especially in the third world) running these every day. I think in a stationary application it's particularly suited; managing your fire is just like running a steam engine or an all-day barbeque fire. Cars these days are supposed to be idiot-proof (though I can't see the benefit of putting idiots behind the wheel) so it makes something that requires finesse to run (like a grumpy old truck) seem like a huge pain.

We don't have a MV running on woodgas at the Shipyard (although we do have a DUKW here), but here's our Honda:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JyazgRBtq8[/media]
I make these for a living. While we do sell them turnkey, I suggest you download the plans for free and make one on your own.

I think you would have to be a pickup to carry enough wood to run on to get home. At that point maybe steam cars would be more efficient.
Good thinking- your gallon of gas equivalent is about 15 lbs for coffee grounds or walnut shells. Do the math on that one for a long trip. The nice part is, you can scrounge your own fuel. Those bio-degradable cellulose forks will work.

I am extremely interested to hear if anyone has run a deuce off of woodgas. The carb/fuel injector matchup is pretty straightforward- you can just guff dryer hose into the top of your carb and then make a little clothes-hanger choke if you want to do it quick. A clever little geegaw that would feed liquid fuel for lubcrication and supplement it with the producer gas would be awesome.

CatMan

Producer Gas

In Fred Crismon's Book "US Military Wheeled Vehicles" there is a picture of a WWII GMC CCKW 6X6 with a producer gas burner fitted behind the cab on page 333. The trucks had a GM 6 cylinder 270 Cu In gasoline engine. Neat set up.

There is also a reprint of the 1942 text book "Producer Gas For Motor Vehicles" by John D Cash and Martin G Cash. Its about 200 pages of information.

I think it is still available thru Lindsey Publications Inc.

More than I want to tackle but neat information.

Cat Man

johnnypayphone

Oh yeah I wanted to say something about diesels. The kits we sell can be installed on a diesel engine with a dual-fuel situation. That is to say, the woodgas complements the diesel and increases fuel economy but you're still using diesel fuel. We've also done spark conversions on diesel engines, such as the 1-cyl Lister stationary engine, which you can find videos of on Youtube. Then you can run a diesel engine on pure woodgas.

Edit: I have tons of pictures of military equipment running on woodgas here:

http://www.gekgasifier.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=17&userid=

Jeez, it would suck to be in that tank and get your gasifier all shot up.

grayw0lf

I was interested in Woodgas for a good while. I went as far as to make a proof of concept gasifier that would blow nice 4' flames when you lit the output gas.
It's a neat concept & its true that a supposed 1 Million vehicles ran on it in WWII, but I dropped it for WVO. The WVO is way more practical. With the woodgas, you're constantly adjusting, there is no start it up & go.

Yahoo has a great woodgas group. Check it out. There are also 2 people near me who are running woodgas. One may have quit, its been a few years. I'm sure the other guy is still doing it. He has 3 or more trucks powered on woodgas & has a pretty nice setup.

If you're really interested, I can probably get you in touch with him if you can't find him on the Yahoo message boards.

John O>.

Cryogen

You can use it on diesels, you leave the diesel idle injection to pop it off and hook up a throttle valve to control the incoming wood gas for acceleration.

Machinist22

It can be done!

Thanks guys for finally talking about something that has interested me for quite some time!

In doing my research, one of the best sites I came across was:
About Gasifier Experimenters Kit

There is a ton of information on there and a big thanks to johnnypayphone for posting what he did.

Another site I ran across was this one:
Victory Gasworks- Gasifiers and Wood Gasification

Under the "learn" tab click on "Gasification 101" and enjoy. Ben breaks it down to simple easy to understand sessions on how gasification works and why it works as well as things to look out for, pros and cons, etc.

He actually converted an old dumptruck he had to run on wood gas and posted a video of it here:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43c683YY18w[/media]

When I finally do actually get the chance to buy an M35A2, this is the route that I plan to experiment with.

I have done quite of bit of looking into the process of electrolyzing water too. When split into two separate gasses, hydrogen and oxygen (HHO), it is a very burnable fuel. While it is difficult (if not impossible) to run solely on HHO because of the energy it takes to make the actual split, it does supposedly work great as a supplemental fuel. There are of course those who say that's impossible too. But from a scientific standpoint it is completely possible! Hydrogen is flammable and so is Oxygen.

So . . . my thought is to make woodgas the primary with hydrogen and oxygen (sometime called Brown's gas) as the supplemental. This would give you an increase in mileage (miles per lb of wood) as well as make for a cleaner burning fuel combo than oil could ever be.

I agree, we probably will never run out of petroleum fuel. However, it will most assuredly get to the point where it is a financial issue for some people. We're getting close already!

Electric really is the way to go, but there is a lot of work to do in the available technology having to do with both generating and storing electricity. The lead acid battery is way too heavy and the new aluminum battery, that I've heard is on the horizon, is going to be way too expensive at first.

The Lithium Ion battery seems to be the best option at this point. Check out the Tesla car here:
Tesla Roadster Technology and Innovations | Tesla Motors

While I realize this may not be the best route for a very large, very heavy M35, it would work great for smaller, lighter MV's.

I hope some of this information helps.

Here's where we should be putting our resources (as opposed to occupying the Middle East):
http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news2.13s.html
http://www.hotstockmarket.com/forum/thread/69025/huge-oil-reserves-found-in-the-dakotas-and-montana
http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/u_s__has_massive_oil.html

This is not even to mention all the oil up in Alaska. Problem is the greenies don't want to drill into our precious soil. They'd rather the Middle East have us over a barrel (literally).

What we should do is petition our Reps to push for drilling on our own soil and tell the Middle East to take a hike! We are by far the largest oil consumer in the world. Whoever supplies our oil has us by the brass ones, so to speak. I personally don't like that idea one bit. We could easily produce our own petroleum and the consumer could buy it at the pump for prices that would resemble the '60's. Wouldn't that be nice!

That is all.

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

I built my first gasifier in the fall of 2010 using the FEMA wood gas generator instructions.

I was burning some pretty green wood chips I got from a tree recycler. I had A LOT of tar and goo coming out the business end which I was not impressed with. If I could build a good filter and get a good dry fuel source I would love to hook this up to an old S10 or something for running around town, but I wouldn't hook this to my M35A2. That is what WMO is for.

I sized it using the FEMA instructions for my CJ5. I did test it on a lawn mower engine and it ran it.

Until the zombie apocalypse, it sits in the back of the barn.

Attachments

135gmc

In WWII, England also used many wood gas fueled vehicles, from cars to trucks and even at least one fire engine. Another option was coal gas from the city gas mains - this was stored in large roof-mounted gas bags that were filled at night. Unfortunately, this increased the height of the buses to the point that they couldn't drive under some bridges. I've seen photos of cars with a trailer-mounted gas generator plus a roof gas bag to extend the cruising range. The gas was very dirty and abrasive - no matter what was done with it, it was still very had on the engines. Wood gas-fueled vehicles are still used in places in Australia.

rogersn67

I don't have one... YET! I have the plans for one here somewhere... always wanted to try it out, and see how well it works. I have often thought it would be good for a worst case scenario running a generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks