• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Other LVAD Truckers Need Cab Glass?

Crapgame

Source has a few door glass but no windshields on hand, they will run more if we meet a min qty TBD. Everything is OEM glass. The door glass have the bracket for the door regulator, $136.16each FOB. I'm waiting on MOQ and price on windshields.

sjohn116

M1081 windshield glass is just a flate piece, square. Easiest and cheapest way is to have a local glass company cut you a piece from tempered glass. The glass behind doors are also flat, on all LMTVs. Only curved glass is in the door (same used by all LMTVs) and the windshield in m1078/79 (non-lvad) LMTVs.

longrange4u

M1081 windshield glass is just a flate piece, square. Easiest and cheapest way is to have a local glass company cut you a piece from tempered glass. The glass behind doors are also flat, on all LMTVs. Only curved glass is in the door (same used by all LMTVs) and the windshield in m1078/79 (non-lvad) LMTVs.
Good info.. I am new to this, as I just purchased my LMTV 1081. Wouldn't there still be cost benefit in having a set cut rather than just one?

sjohn116

All depends on the size of the stock material the glass company has on hand, from which your square will be cut. You can likely get two squares cut for both sides of the front windshield at one time, presumably for twice the price of buying just one; might be a little discount. The beauty of it being flat glass is: you really don't have to worry about sourcing them, and as such, no need to find/buy/store/hoard them when you run across one, in the hopes you never need it (like you have to do for the door glass).

Door glass, however, is a totally different story.

DSD277

Windshields are made from LAMINATED glass not tempered. Its been the law in the US since the 1930s. Tempered glass has been used in Europe up to the '70s and later, and many 3rd world countries, but you are putting an IED in front of your face. When broken, tempered glass shatters into a bunch of tiny pieces that will come back into your face with a moving vehicle.
The block size for the LVAD windshield is 38" x 28", they are not rectangular, but have a rack to the outer edge.

sjohn116

You know what I meant (all automotive windshields are laminated). The point of my post was to inform a member that the LVAD doesnt need hard-to-find glass other than the doors, which plagues the entire LMTV community. Just a competent glass shop is needed for the majority of LVAD glass problems. Or else contact Will (Suprman), he has a few LMTV M1081s that he is parting out; located in CT, good guy with fair prices and a TON of useful information on diagnosing LMTV-specific problems.

DSD277

I might have known what you meant, but the uninformed wouldn’t.

The last 15 years I have been supplying laminated windshields for gray market Pinzgauers, Haflingers and Unimogs that did have tempered windshields and the owners had no idea of the danger.

sjohn116

Fair point. My apologies for oversimplification to the point of possibly misleading. It wasnt the purpose of my post.

Longrange4u.... DSD277 is likely a great resource for you to use if/when you need glass cut for your front windshield.

Crapgame

Omni Glass & Paint, Oshkosh, WI, www.omnigp.com per CAGE is original OEM for cab glass. I got two Driver's Side Door Window glass panes #12414355-001 with the crank bracket on it from them for about $117 each. They are supposed to be getting more passenger side #12414355-002 door glass in soon. LVAD windshield halves they have a min order to cut more, I didn't ask about the door "wing" triangle glass. ereistad@omnigp.com is sales contact

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always thought it would be great to have the 'wind wing' in the front doors for added ventilation. I would imagine these would need to be sourced from MAN in Europe though..

Pointman

Masspilot

I just made my window for my 1081 here is a pic of it. I made it out of laminate auto Glass and I already have a template for it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks