• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any pneumatic impact wrench recommendations?

BadMastard

IR ti2135, takes off 800lbs. puts on about 500. Keep that in mind for the drivers side nuts. Just a hint. :) So far, it's the only 1/2 inch impact that worked on my a3 rims, so I'm rather attached to the gun.

pmramsey

I use nothing but my military 24-volt wrench. However, I only use it on the MV stuff. One must go easy when using it on the CUCVs and some of the lightweight trailers.

abh3

I've got the Ingersoll Rand 2141 3/4" and the corresponding 1/2" in a farm shop. It's not exactly all day, every day use but when we get busy it's tough work, they are quality tools that seem to have lasted so far, if a little expensive. I bought mine on Fleabay after watching listings for the right deal... The cheap stuff will work if you don't use it too much and really oil it up, just don't be bitter when it craps out on you in a year or two! 2cents

Anubis8472

I found 1/2 inch drive units did not have the power I needed at times, so I jumped up to 3/4 inch. The 3/4 inch will spin off bearing seal nuts and that pesky nut that holds
the u-joint on the differential.

The only 3/4 I found under $100 was at Harbor Freight. I had my reservations
when i bought it last summer, but it works great! I can hook it up to the Glad Hand
on either my M109A3 or my M52A2 and the air brake system with power it enough to spin off the lug nuts with ease.:driver:
Ah, the yoke nut... I know that one well. Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of removing one in the garage, it usually takes place out on the road somewhere. I've found the easiest way is a 1/2" breaker bar with a 6 foot fence post on it braced against the ground, then you hook up tow chains and drag the vehicle forward untill the nut breaks loose.

If you're just looking for a basic set that will get you through most jobs and not heavy use then the cheap stuff isn't bad.
I recently picked up a set and a compressor at Sears. They were having a sale and I walked out with a one and a half horse 20 gallon compressor, 300ibs 1/2inch impact, 3/8 ratchet drive, and air chisel set along with a couple lines and all the fittings, air gauge etc. All for about 320 bucks.

Sure, it would be nice to have a quality 600lbs impact that can rip through the toughest jobs, or a nice pricey chisel that cuts through steel like butter, but for under 100 bucks I got a set that will do for now.

Now if you're looking for a tool that will see daily use, and/or serious tough jobs then you're looking for more of an investment.

SGT Estum

Lots of good info, guys.
I'm leaning toward the HF unit, mainly due to cost constraints (and that 20% off coupon is just so hard not to use).
If I was looking to spend a bit more, it looks like IR would be the way to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks