• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any reason I would have 2 lift pumps?

rodent

Trying to undo any botched mechanic work on my M1008 and this is one I can't figure out. Why would use 2 lift pumps? Both fuel pumps come on when key is on.

I was going to remove the smaller one on the right. Just wanted to check to see if you guys seen this before or if there's any reason for 2 lift pumps. Also may relocate it down on the frame somewhere instead of the wheel well.

pumps.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No need for two. Although the one on the left looks like a carter pump, which was problematic on the Dodge trucks (civy) with a cummins.

rodent

No need for two. Although the one on the left looks like a carter pump, which was problematic on the Dodge trucks (civy) with a cummins.
Yes it is a Carter. Maybe I should replace both with one good pump. I need to read up to see what guys are going with on lift pumps. Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those rotary pumps used to be the "thing", when pulse type pumps were not so common and inexpensive.

Any idea what the problems are with them, in general?

The pulse/inline pumps are inexpensive and fairly simple.

I have them on a few things.

rodent

Those rotary pumps used to be the "thing", when pulse type pumps were not so common and inexpensive.
Any idea what the problems are with them, in general?
The pulse/inline pumps are inexpensive and fairly simple.
I have them on a few things.
I'm curious too. Also what is the electric pump most owners use for the lift pump. Just want something reliable. I would think the 93 6.5 pump would be reliable.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm curious too. Also what is the electric pump most owners use for the lift pump. Just want something reliable. I would think the 93 6.5 pump would be reliable.
The carter rotory vane pumps have a high failure rate with the 2nd gen Dodge 24v (VP44) cummins trucks. So much so that mopar solution was to switch to a in-tank retrofit. I've had problems with other rotary vane pumps (Holley) when I tried to use them with diesels. They simply stop pumping. I think it's a viscosity issue that allows the vanes to stick. A google search for cummins carter fuel pump will tell you all about the troubles they have. Pretty much everyone moves to a AirDog or FASS pump with them. The pulse pumps are fine for a low performance diesel like the 6.2/6.5 and smaller engines. But I'm a firm believer for the gearotor design pumps (AirDog/FASS) for anything performance related. They also lend to "alternative" fuels much more than a vane style, if you're into that.

Drock

The stock mechanical fuel pump is more then adequate to support a turbo charged 6.2 or 6.5. Running an electric pump on a switch is nice to use as a back up, to prime after a filter change, or if you just want to fill a bucket with some diesel. 2cents

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The stock mechanical fuel pump is more then adequate to support a turbo charged 6.2 or 6.5. Running an electric pump on a switch is nice to use as a back up, to prime after a filter change, or if you just want to fill a bucket with some diesel. 2cents
Kinda hard to get the drainback to work without modifying the block or oil pan. Most every turbo setup deletes the mechanical pump for this provision.

Drock

Good point, I'm not sure how the GM turbo is plumbed? But the Banks kit I installed on my 6.2 has a block that goes in between the mechanical pump & engine block for the drain back. I suppose you could order one from Banks. Might be cheaper & easier then a fancy electric fuel pump?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the original posters truck has a turbo, that explains the the electric pumps. If it's a stock N/A then the mech pump is plenty adequate and very reliable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks