• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any shops or mechanics with MV experience near Northern VA?

Hamma Down

I need some help. I made the mistake of letting my M52 run low on fuel and suck some gunk that was in the tank into the system. After refilling it, I could hear a distinct clapping (metal to metal) sound coming out of the exhaust. There was no loss of power or smoke. It ran like this for awhile, then all of a sudden there was loss of power and lots of black smoke coming out the exhaust. Fortunately, I was able to make it back to the house. Fortunately, I was just around the corner. I am not sure if it would still run at idle or not, I had to keep my foot in it to make it back to the house though. And, once back at home, I immediately shut it down. The motor turns over fine and there is not knocking noise. Before I order a new engine from Dave and the folks at Eastern Surplus, I would like to get someone to take a look at it to see if the engine is shot (I hope not), or I just need to replace a piston, injector, or fuel pump. Also, what other engines will fit in the M52 without major modifications. I got a line on a couple of old detroits and cummins. Thanks,

Hawk

Westech

CPL
I would not check anything.... just order a new engine......

Really? come on! Do you have the TM's? Why on earth would you even talk about a new engine before you took a look at the filters, fuel pump, see what is in the tank, clean the injectors... ect...ect...ect

I do have to add something... People who think that if you run a tank low/out of fuel that you suck junk up.. where do you think the fuel pick up is on the top of the tank? If there is junk in the tank your going to suck it up no matter how much fuel is in there.

If I were a betting man I bet a Flower shop is going to get killed in VA.

kennys@wi.rr.com

These trucks were designed to be ran in some of the worst conditions known to man. I highly doubt you killed the motor with anyting in the tank. I would be cautious of dealing with anyone who says you did destroy the motor. Replace the filters and be on your way.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sound like you have air in the system. This will make a multi miss and rattle. Pull the lift pump from the tank. And use some brake cleaner to clean the pickup screen. Then change all three fuel filters. Use a good fuel injector cleaner like lucas. Most multis will pass the air with out opening a injector line. It sould clear up soon after starting. Like kenny stated. These trucks will tolerate a lot of abuse. Unless something else happened. You won't need a new engine.

Hamma Down

Thanks for the advice folks (well, most of it anyways). I does turn over without any weird noises. So, I do think the motor is fine. However, the filters are a witch to change in cold weather and I did get air in the system. So, I am going to switch over to the spin on type when I return, and see if I can get it cranked up again. The tanks are definitely due a cleaning. Again, thanks!

zout

My suggestion is send me the money you would stick in a new engine and I will send you a case of fuel filters and some power service in exchange with no $ back.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I had a 5 ton tractor with the Multi in it.

(1) Drain the tank and make every effort to get all the crud out of it.....the tank has baffles in it so you just have to do your best.

(2) While you are at it take the fuel pump out of the tank and make sure the pickup screen is clean.....also make sure the fuel pickup line is not rotted or has holes in it.

(3) Change all fuel filters.....changing canister filters it not that big a deal....if you are careful you can reuse the gaskets that are in the grooves since installing the new ones can be a beotch. If they leak after you change them then you will have to replace the gaskets. The easy way to do the secondaries is to take the mount off. This will make it a lot easier to put the new gaskets into the grooves in the filter housing.

(4) You don't have to fill the filter cans prior to installing them since the in tank pump will fill them.....you do have to crack the bleeder valve on top of the secondary housing to get the cans to fill up.....the primary will fill as well.

(5) Turn it over and if she cranks let it run until it reaches a smooth idle. Some people say you don't have to bleed the injectors.....I do it anyway just for S&G's...use a 9/16's wrench (a line wrench works better). Crack the line where it goes into the injector and when a solid stream of fuel comes out tighten the nut back. Most of the time you will see air sputtering out of the line.

(6) While you are at it check the air filter.......low air flow will cause black smoke.

Hope this helps.

Flyingvan911

Look for the Tech Manuals and read through them. They have lots of good info in them. Repairs on the Multifuels are usually simple unless there's a hole in the crankcase.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks