• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Source for Shrink Tape?

renovate7

I use heat shrink tube a lot when splicing wires etc. I've found the marine grade adhesive/waterproof stuff is the best. Is there any source for a tape that does the same thing? I've got some frazzled wires and am looking for something I can wrap around them and then shrink/adhere to them. Electrical tape seems to unwind after a while.

Last edited:

renovate7

Steelandcanvas thanks for the link, that's what I'm using now. I'm looking for something that comes in a roll like electrical tape that I can wrap around an existing wire. I bought some stuff at Harbor Freight a while back but it was THICK and wouldn't wrap around a wire.

Last edited:

Dodge man

Where are you in Florida? If you're talking about the self valcanizing tape like that that's used inside fuel tanks and other places where things MUST be sealed, you can get it surplus at SkyCraft in Orlando. Their stock comes and goes so YMMV.

A

A/C Cages

I was just going to say the same thing, Skycraft or to the locals its known as SkyCrap... lol
You cant miss the place, rockets outside along with a big UFO over the front door.
If they dont have it or cant get it,,, it was never made.

feldmarshal

I've used electrical tape in a can ,not sure of the tech. name. On wires that are skint and you can't use heat srink, it takes about 3 coats to properly seal and build -up but well worth it. It kinda like that stuff that people used to dip plier handles in, has a brush on the cap like anti-sieze.

deuceaid

Banned
Where are you in Florida? If you're talking about the self valcanizing tape like that that's used inside fuel tanks and other places where things MUST be sealed, you can get it surplus at SkyCraft in Orlando. Their stock comes and goes so YMMV.

Are these the same guys that have a place up around Ocala...... I worked out there once, drove by at 4:55 pm, wanted to look inside, but they were bastards,,,,I got in but couldnt spend any time looking,,,,,,lots of aircraft stuff, and I do remember a ufo on the building.....

deuceaid

Banned
Also, at this point it might be better to paint on some plastic tool dip in thin coats....

the better thing to do is brush on some 3M electric well cable coating......its good down to 600 feet underwater,,, but the price might shock ya,,, ( I dont know , cause a friend gave me a 6 ounce can for free)

treeguy

There is a special type of tape used by electricians that comes with thin plastic between the layers (like double sided tape does). It is used to wrap big exposed electrical lugs. Its very rubbery in nature and adheres to itself like a kid playing with seran wrap, I tried to undo it from itself and trust me, you can't, it will rip first. Try an electrical supply house and ask them what I just described. As for heat shrink, I don't think its possible with tape. I think it will just unravel worse than regular elect. tape. Have you also tried liquid electrical tape, real cool stuff. My suggestion with that stuff is to apply multipul layers after each dries. Its good stuff. I'm not sure what stuff Deuceaid is talking about, but I've got some in a small yellow can with a brush in the cap that was cheap.

renovate7

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for something thin, just like electrical tape. I've sent an email to one of the manufacturers and will try to call their 800 number later.

212sparky

There is a special type of tape used by electricians that comes with thin plastic between the layers (like double sided tape does). It is used to wrap big exposed electrical lugs. Its very rubbery in nature and adheres to itself like a kid playing with seran wrap, I tried to undo it from itself and trust me, you can't, it will rip first.
That tape is called splicing tape. you can get it with or with out a liner. You have to stretch it to get the correct insulating properties out of it. the best tape to use on splices is 3M supper 33 to top coat the splicing tape. Supper 33 holds up the best.

Stan Leschert

I use a brush on product called "Liquid Electrical Tape". A buddy who has a diesel shop uses this quite often to repair the trailers that come into his shop... they sometimes get a good salt water bath while loading fish in, off of the boats. No complaints so far, he's been using this for a good 20 years!

renovate7

I've gotten a few answers to my question. There are products that are as thin as electrical tape and can be wrapped around 1 wire. The only drawback is they are not adhesive and therefore can not be applied with a heat gun. You must use an open flame to get them to shrink. I've got my newest truck, a 1966 A2, due in soon. I was able to preview it and noticed the typical bad wires under the hood. Not even close enough to consider replacing the harness but stuff I want to deal with, like the wires coming off the back of the head lights showing cracks etc.

deuceaid

Banned
There is a special type of tape used by electricians that comes with thin plastic between the layers (like double sided tape does). It is used to wrap big exposed electrical lugs.

also know as self vulcanizing tape,,, and yes you have to stretch it, and it it a pain to take off.....and it is usually covered with what is know as "friction tape" a protective fiberglass tape . have found both at the local hardware store...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks