• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any suggestions on bumper?

govt

Picked up an M931a1 from Camp Shelby a few weeks back...the truck is in great condition but they seemed to had fun with the passenger side front bumper. It has a really nice bend in it. Any suggestions on how I could bend it back? I have found a replacement bumper but would like the project of fixing it if possible.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

jaxsof

Alot of heat, a big crescent wrench, and a pipe. And when youve gotten it close, a big friend to carry it over to the bigger anvil where you will be hammering it flat. Have Fun!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use my backhoe to straighten bumpers like that.

A gentle tug with a chain around a tree, and some patience should get you there.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That little twist, two c-clams, a come-a- long, 4' bar, BFH= straight

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah thats a pretty simple fix - as said... little tug with a chain from a tree/another vehicle...

Mine on the other hand, dents in the front flat part, rope "burn" and split on the radiused lower middle section, drivers side bend: stressed overbent/nasty crease - restraightened'ish - way over welded by the motor pool - flange holes 'opened' up.......

I have heat, BFH, anvil :jumpin: and 7018 rod... What else could a man want.

... but it's why we save 'em right! [thumbzup] (I think postage of a new will be silly money.)

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chain n tree

NB. Put a block of wood in the "C" part of the bumper so that the chain 'loop' doesn't dig into the flanges, it will also stop the chain from slipping... If you need the bumper to go up a little, then the tree end of the chain needs to be higher than the bumper or 'viki verki'.

Danl

Danl M915A1

Contact Csmdavis (Jeff) at Shelby .....the last time I was at his place he had a parts truck with a good bumper on it.
Hey wrecker man , The Govt said that he has a Replacement bumper but he would like to fix this one. I hope you you drive your wrecker slower than you read LOL:whistle:

Danl

Danl M915A1

I'll try the chain / tree idea....we'll see who wins! Thanks for the ideas!
Heres what you have to do you have to cut the top and bottom of the bumper. . A slit at the creases when you pull the bumper straight the slit will open up { the crease could be called the foad of the bend} if you don't cut this the bumper will go were it wants to go and you will never get it straight. After you you pull it straight you 'll have to cut out the slit, or the junk on the top and bottom, after you hamer it close. cut out the small chumk of steal and weld in e new small pease, grind it clean and paint the mess. If you don't have a welder and touches. You really don't have the green Bug and you should run away from that MV before you get Bit bad :popcorn: