• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any suggestions on lift kit and tires?

ryan1981

Just looking to get a 6" lift kit and some hummer tires, but unsure where to get, and if anyone else has a different suggestion. Thanks for the help

Croatan_Kid

I got all my lift stuff from ORD back during their Christmas/New Years sale. It actually cut down on the cost quite a bit...free shipping here, 10% off there. I opted for the 4" Tuff Country HD springs up front and a 3" block in the rear. The truck sits just about level, the front is still slightly lower. Nobody sees it except me and it drives me crazy! Anyway, had I gone any higher in the rear I would have done a shackle flip.

gocmndo

Stephen Watson at Off Road Design was a great help for me. We worked through a number of options and he is familiar with CUCV's. I went with the Tuff Country 4" front and rear. I also used ORD's cross over steering that is fantastic! I moved the front shock location up with two ford pieces from ORD and was able to use longer shocks. Greasable shackles and steel brake lines all made the truck come together nicely.
I am running Goodyear 37" MT tires from the hummers and love them as well.
Good Luck and ask lots of questions!!

AJMBLAZER

ORD is great. Not so good at answering emails but always willing to answer questions on the phone. Running their 1" zero rates in the front of mine.

Croatan_Kid

I have a grocery list of ORD products as well. Shackles, crossover, zero rates, u-bolt flip kit, steering box brace and I'm gunna get some new brake lines soon. I've probably spent 1500 bucks at ORD. Only problem I ever had was the drag link I was originally sent with my crossover measured 40" and it needed to be 37.5-38". Called a few times until I could talk directly to Stephen and he got me squared away pretty quickly and then faxed me a pre-paid shipping paper.

ryan1981

Hey thanks for the replies, i had a 1008 with the rough country 6" system with springs front and rear, but sold it, it only had 11k orig. miles!! the x fiancee" said it had to go, now i have told her to get the f___ out, but lost a cucv that i spent 6 mos restoring. anyhow i found a 1028 i believe is worth saving, (as well as a wife who says that it would be cool to ride around in a big army truck!!). I want to put a 6" kit but want it cheap, and i was wondering how the hummer tires were

gocmndo

I have found the ride and noise from the tires very acceptable. I expected quite the roar from the tires, but was happily surprised.
With the 37" tire and the 4.56 gears freeway driving is now enjoyable and you can talk to the other person in the truck now.
Just not sure why I am passing everyone when my speedo says 55 MPH.... :lol:

86M10086.2L

I'm doing a 4-6 on my M1008, most of my stuff will be comming from ORD. If you want cheap you could probably find a front spring/rear block kit. If you want good, than front spring/rear shackle flip. But it will cost you a few.

1stgear

I have found the ride and noise from the tires very acceptable. I expected quite the roar from the tires, but was happily surprised.
With the 37" tire and the 4.56 gears freeway driving is now enjoyable and you can talk to the other person in the truck now.
Just not sure why I am passing everyone when my speedo says 55 MPH....
Would someone please explain how the bigger tires help? Not that I don't believe, I just don't understand.

86M10086.2L

The larger (overall) diameter tire effectivley reduces the gear ratio of the rear end without changing the gears. Essentially what happens is the the larger tire will cover a greater distance for one roation than a smaller tire. So lets say a for example (not exact numbers) a 31 inch tire will travel 4 feet down the road during one rotation. A 36 inch tire might cover 5 1/2 feet or more for the same roation. Greater distance for the same amount of work. Or less rpms to do the same amount of work as the smaller tire. That being said the bigger you go the more power you need to gain momentum to start and break momentum to stop but it's negliable on these truck. Again not exact numbers but I think their close from what I remember being said here before, 36-37 inch tires puts you somewhere in the 3.73:1-3.55:1 gear ratio range. much hapier on the highway than 4.56:1. Thats basically it. There are calculators to figure this out just do some searching on the net and you can find them.

AJMBLAZER

The pickup CUCV's were geared VERY low from the factory, in fact with the lowest gears GM ever put in this body style of truck. All the military wanted them to do was be able to tow a 3/4 ton trailer and haul troops in the back at convoy speeds (35mph) so they didn't care if they were undergearing the heck out of them. The military never meant for them to do freeway speeds or even sustained periods at 55mph.

In the offroad and 4x4 side of life the 4.56's in our trucks are about perfect for a true 37-40" tall tire. Mine is SOOO much quieter now with the actually 37" tall tires than it was before with the 34" tall 36x12.5-16.5 HMMWV tires it had when I first got it. Can't even imagine trying to go past 55mph with the stock sized tires...you guys must go deaf.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks