• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any tail light housing differences?

bsteinborn

All the tail lights (brake, turn signal, etc.) worked on my old housings. Replaced the tail light housings with new ones because the faceplates were messed up. All the lights work EXCEPT the brake light. I noticed in the old housing that the bulb for the brake/signal is a 2 filament bulb but in the new housing the bulb has 1 filament. Do I need to replace something else (front wiring harness) to get the brake lights to work with a 1 filament bulb or is the problem elsewhere. My deuce still uses the old brake switch. I plan to replace the brake switch with the upgraded air operated switch but I don't think this is the problem. Thanks!

eagle4g63

Swap the bulbs out to the ones in the old housing.............other than that make sure you have a good clean ground, maybe changing out the lights the ground was messed up.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the time, each filament is a circuit. The way you explain it, you may have ended up with an extra wire from the harness hanging uselessly behind the lamp assembly, is that correct?

Another question: if the new lamp installed wire for wire, maybe the incorrect bulb is installed in the brake/signal position? In other words, a single filament bulb is installed in a dual filament socket.

Rick

eagle4g63

With the deuce there is just ONE connection to THAT bulb..........Lots of them ARE 2 filament bulbs but they ONLY have ONE contact on the back of them, some people get them confused with a regular 12 volt bulb and that they are not!!

Gotta remember.....military.........KEEP IT SIMPLE............each bulb on these does only ONE thing, double filament or not.

bsteinborn

eagle4g63,

I agree that a single wire goes to brake/signal bulb. I did not keep the old housings, so I can't verify this, but in the 2 filament bulb, is 1 filament for the brake and the another for the signal? Not sure how that works with one wire. Or do both filaments just light up at the same time whenever the brake and signal were activated? My thinking has been that if I have the turn signal on and then hit the brake that the light should get brighter. Am I wrong? Just for the record I hate electrical. Thanks everyone!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In this application, the double filament is a belt-and-suspenders thing the military like. Filaments can break from banging around cross country; with two, if you break one, there is still a second so probably the bulb will keep working.
The light will work with single filament bulbs just fine, but if you break the filament....

Cheers

steelandcanvas

eagle4g63,
I agree that a single wire goes to brake/signal bulb. I did not keep the old housings, so I can't verify this, but in the 2 filament bulb, is 1 filament for the brake and the another for the signal? Not sure how that works with one wire. Or do both filaments just light up at the same time whenever the brake and signal were activated? My thinking has been that if I have the turn signal on and then hit the brake that the light should get brighter. Am I wrong? Just for the record I hate electrical. Thanks everyone!
I believe the turn signal lamp is a flashing brake light, or one in the same. The other filament is the running light. This would require 2 wires to operate this way. Not to add insult to injury, but you could have just replaced the lenses:
Rear Composite Lens, 11639535

bsteinborn

I started by replacing the lenses but during installation soon found that the plastic housing was cracked around the lense fasteners. In one tail light only two lense fasteners were holding. So now I have two new lenses if anyone wants them. I'll just give them away, even free shipping! Just send me your address!

steelandcanvas

I started by replacing the lenses but during installation soon found that the plastic housing was cracked around the lense fasteners. In one tail light only two lense fasteners were holding. So now I have two new lenses if anyone wants them. I'll just give them away, even free shipping! Just send me your address!
PM sent. Tell Jim W I said HI!

Last edited:

KaiserM109

This sounds a bit funny, but it has been a while since I messed with my lights. What year is your truck and the donor vehicle?

I have a '66 deuce that came with the tiny tail light and brake light lens. I replaced them with lights off of a later model trailer, year unknown. I had no problems except a burned out blackout light which I replaced with one from the old bucket.

That double filament thing is a redundancy that you don’t always see.

Dumb question, but I’ll ask it anyway; did you match up the little tags on the wires?

eagle4g63

Ok, so I took some pics to go along with my write up. First of all a nice pic of the inside of a military tail light housing.......As you can see there are 4 bulbs(this is a newer housing so it has some led stuff, the older ones would have actual bulbs like the top. In order from the top are: running light, just lights up the lens at night, second: Brake/turn signal, third and fourth have to do with the black out settings so we aren't going to deal with those here.

Second pic is a close up of the top of the housing, as you can see there are the 2 wires in the foreground that go through the insulators, those 2 are the ones that bring positive power to the 2 bulbs, the one on the left goes to the brake/turn bulb, the one on the right go to the running bulb. The other wires in there are the ground wires, just under the brake bulb is riveted to the metal and goes to the right post on the back of the housing(which is where the rear mounting bolt goes, the left wire goes and does the same for the bottom 2(black out) bulbs and hooks to the left rear post, again the mounting bolt goes there.

As you can see in the 3rd and 4th pics the bulbs in question.......both are brake bulbs, the one on the left is a civilian 12 volt that is in almost every car on the road(until newer ones that use a flat blade instead of a metal socket), the one on the right is the bulb from this housing. You can see both are double filaments, however the left one has 2 wire contact point on the bottom and the one on the right has only one. In the left bulb the small filament is for the running light and the large filament is the brake, 1 bulb 2 jobs......in our bulbs there is ONLY 1 contact so BOTH filaments do the same thing....remember the top bulb it does the second job of running lights..........

Now as the same way every GM car is wired the brake light and turn signal use the same wire, If you are on the brakes the bulb is lit and when you use the turn signal it starts to blink, NOT brighter, just blinks.....so the other side is the only light that says light with the brakes........the exact same thing is with our military trucks, Everyone gets hung up on the 2 filament thing, but it doesn't make any difference!! it is still just 1 bulb, 1 job just uses 2 filaments to do it.

Now if you are still with me.......as to the problem you are having, it can ONLY be one of two things....IF the lights were operational as intended BEFORE you changed them out: 1 IF you crossed 2 wires, then the wrong bulb will light(very hard to see if it is one of the black out bulbs.....so take off the lens and watch as someone presses the brake........IF NO bulbs are lighting with the brake pressed then it is problem 2, BAD ground or bad bulb.......easy to track, put in the bulb from the original light that you KNOW worked, if nothing then ground!!!! easy as pie.

Edited: helps to actually attach the picturesaua

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks