• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

any tips on how to get more power ?

Alexl2590

anyone have any tips on how to get more power ot of a white multi fuel without making a big to do out of it id like to be able to tow mt skidsteer with my duce with no preblem i cant seem to get over 35 going up hills my pickup can do 60 up whith the same skidsteer

wikallen

Your pickup can easily go twice as fast because it is at least, twice the power and less then half the weight.

Depending on the size of the hill, but 35 with a skidsteer on back is doing pretty good.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are reasons deuces are slow.....one of them is the single master cylinder......lose the brake fluid, lose the brakes.:shock:

Does the trailer you're pulling have air brakes that can be hooked to the deuce?

I know it sucks being the toad in the road but that is the nature of the beast.

Have you made sure you are getting the max fuel.....clean filters, no kinked lines, etc.

How is the air cleaner? Diesels need a lot of air and a restricted air cleaner can cause issues.

If you turn the fuel to it and don't know when to back off the throttle you can melt down a piston or otherwise damage the internals of the engine. Thus the need for the pyro.

Transplanting an LDS engine out of a 5 ton can help but they are only about 200 HP so you will still have probs with heavy loads.

This issue has been addressed ad infinitum:deadhorse::deadhorse:.......search is your friend.

There have been several threads on this subject. If you use the search feature, you'll find a few of them but the long and short of it is to get more power out of a multifuel deuce, the first order of business is to install an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge and put the probe about an inch to an inch and a half in front of the turbo inlet in the exhaust manifold. Put some penetrating lubricant on the studs and nuts between the turbo and the manifold, then run the engine long enough to heat it up and get that penetrant into the nuts and studs and bust them loose. Next, move the turbo away from the manifold just far enough to tape the turbine inlet so as not to get any drill shavings in the turbo. Then drill and tap the hole in the manifold to install the EGT probe. Then start the engine for a few seconds to blow out the drill shavings. Then remove the tape and remount the turbo. Once you have the EGT gauge installed, refer to the thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/53010-how-turn-up-fuel-pictures.html
Remember the magic number is 1150 degrees. If you push it too hard, bad things happen and aluminum melts at just over 1250 degrees. As long as you try to stay under 1150, you'll save yourself a load of money, stress and headaches.

jasonjc

Your pickup can easily go twice as fast because it is at least, twice the power and less then half the weight.

Depending on the size of the hill, but 35 with a skidsteer on back is doing pretty good.

The pickup was also design , engineered and built, to go twice as fast, too start with!!!

Heavysteven

Change your air filter, fuel filters, pull the intake pump to clean the pickup is where I would start. Basic pcms can help get your engine running a peak performance.

I am not one for turning up the fuel, but it can be done safely if monitored.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I installed my EGT gauge probe I started the drill bit for a pilot hole then started the engine and drilled it out to size stepping up bits as I went. Wear safety glasses as the chips will fly out as drilling. No need to remove the turbo or anything. Do the same when tapping.
That's what I did also. Works great. There's quite a bit of pressure coming out that hole when you break through so I think all the shavings will be blown out the hole.

Alexl2590

the trailer i am pulling has electric brakes would the pyro work if i mounted it in the down pipe it sounds like a good thing to install even if i don't turn the fuel up

Last edited:

tiny110

Banned
I installed a higher quality pyrometer and turn the fuel up as far as the screw would go. I use my right foot to adjust my exhaust temperature. Lol Even with the fuel turned up all the way I have to bury my foot into the throttle and keep it there 4 my exhaust temperature to get up to 1200. Like I have to do it deliberately. As for more road speed I run 46 inch tires.

I turn the fuel upon my truck and there's no way I could go back. It's the one thing that I can't understand why everyone don't do to their multi fuels.

Put a pyrometer on it turn the fuel up and keep an eye out on your exhaust temperature and I guarantee you won't regret it!

southbreeze

I'm new to green iron, but I've climbed all over regular stuff my entire adult life. Why not dip your bits/taps in a good sticky synthetic grease, go slow and the cuttings stick to the grease. Just stop regular, wipe clean and re-dip in grease.

Just a smaller engine guy's experience....

Cheers,
Breeze

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Those in tank pumps get NASTY! Pulling it and cleaning the screen and making sure the fuel hose is in good cond. is paramount to the truck getting the fuel it needs. You got to start with the basics!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks