• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

any way to find the history of cucvs?

84cucv1ton

been thinking about this. now that i have time do some work on my truck. i was wondering about this.

also, how does the military run these? i have a had a few of these trucks. most millage i have had is 48k. thats not bad. i have a m009s with 3800, 5000 and 7000 miles. a m1028 with 20k. what do they do? all so low on the millage. maybe i have just been lucky??

thanks

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You sure that they didn't roll over, and at least one of your trucks has over 100,000 miles? Could've rolled over the odometer...

Many of these vehicles come form Army Reserve or National Guard units and only saw limited use, typically on weekends and during their summer training periods. With current operations, whien these units deploy they generally will get the newer vehicles, so the CUCVs and Duces will be turned in or left behind, or they may be "lateraly transfered" to other units and swapped for newer equipment.

Vehicles with an "ECS" bumper number were assigned to Reseve units and were placed in Equipment Concentration Sites because the units did not have adequate storage space or maintenance capabilities. These vehicles generally saw more use (and sometimes abuse) since they were then loaned to other units during their training periods.

JohnFire

Don't forget the large number of them that were WRM (war readiness material). These trucks sat their entire life in storage getting started every so often as scheduled. At most when a deployed unit would show up at the base(usually gaurd or reserve) they would sign them out for the time and then they would go right back into storage. Also, most bases don't have alot of area for them to drive and rack up mileage.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Usually they just sit. They idle maybe a few hours out of each month. Most units used one or two vehicles more routinely than others so the "others" sat even more. To think these things sat idling for days on end would be a bad assumption. In most cases they got an annual service.

You got lucky with some very low mileage CUCV's but that is not absolutely unheard of. Most of the ones we had were in the 20-70K range. My opinion is the transportation units such as the trucking units that tended to convoy a lot had significantly higher mileage in the 100K+ range. Even if your trucks came from a trans unit, it is still quite possible they sat as one of the "others".

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just sitting around for a truck is really bad. Seals start drying out, rust starts forming on internal parts that arent lubricated, water forms in fuel tanks.... Sitting is the worst for a truck.

captw

I got my M1008 in 2004 from Dover AFB in DE...has a pintle on front bumper with reinforcement behind bumper back to framerails...when I bought it through GL, it had 78,000 miles on it, left rear tire was flat, rear diff. cover was loose, intake manifold was inside the cab, on the pass. floor, fuel inj. pump and lines were missing, fuel tank and brackets were in the cargo box...I towed it home, found a mil. spec. inj. pump, rebuilt it with the hardened head and rotor to keep it mil. spec., washed out the fuel tank, reinstalled everything, took the injectors out that were seized up, and had them high frequency bathed, reinstalled them, had the inj. timing checked, and have put 15,000 miles on it since, last two years have had it down to Aberdeen and back from Ontario, Canada...truck works great!...W

maritimer

mine came from dover as well according to the dealer that sold ti to me in ONT, it had 60K on it, some minor rust new tires belts u-joints and master cylender and she seems decent enough. just need t ofind either a tailgate with working window crank or fix the ones in mine LOL

Bozor1000

I can't wait to get my truck home so that I can work on it and do what I want to do to it. I love these "square body" Chevy Trucks. I used to have a 1984 3/4 ton longbed. That truck was a work horse. Now that I am getting the m1008, I don't need to buy a Dana 60 or 14bFF to make a 1/2 or 3/4 ton a 1 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks