• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any way to touch up or repaint data-plates?

Dodge man

Hi, I have the original data plates in my M37 but they look like someone cleaned them with steel wool and a lot of the black paint is gone. The stampings are still clearly legible but hard to read against a silver (aluminium) background. Anyone have any idea of how I can restore the black background other than trying to hand paint it?

Edit: I tried to upload a picture but again it wouldn't go.
edit edit: Hey it worked on the second go 'round!

Attachments

Last edited:

Oilleaker1

I chemically stripped the plates other than the glove box and then painted the whole thing flat black. Then with a piece of 600 grit wet or dry paper taped to a flat small putty knife sanded the surface gently. If the plates have letters that have relief or taller than the main surface, it works well. If not relieved much------no. I'm still working on a plan to do the rivited on glove box ones. Maybe tape off the square number pads and try the same method. The rivits are the big problem . I really don't want to destoy them yet. John

Hightechken

Yep, I agree with Oilleaker1. I have had good luck with the 600 wet/dry paper, doing it wet, And using one of those body work 3x5 inch hard rubber backing pads for the sandpaper. After you get the sanding done, Use some clear coat spray over the whole thing and they look brand new.

M-37Bruce

Rivets

I would remove the rivets, then replace 'em w/new. Rod Shaver used to have them, he sold MV Data Plates.
It would make sense the new owner would/could sell them.

Hightechken

I agree. The data plates almost need to be off the vehicle to do a good job. (I do it wet in the kitchen sink when nobody is looking for good light)

0352Marine

New Data Plate Sources

I also need a new one for my M101A1 and I found the following source on the internet. I know I found one other one, but I cannot find it in my favorites now - it seems like it was a Military Surplus Place that also did Data Plates. Maybe someone else has another source for you. Good Luck.

Military Vehicle Data Plates

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks