• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody Compile A3 Years By Serial Number?

a1abdj

Since the M35A3s were built in such limited numbers for a set period of time, has anybody compiled which serial numbers were produced in what years?

GL lists many as 93's, simply because that's when the contracts started. I have seen several low serial numbers listed as 96's.

I have serial number 501114 that has a rust proofing sticker dated in 1996, and all of the axles are dated 1998.

I also have serial number 505044 which has a rust proofing sticker dated in 1998, and all of its axles are also dated 1998.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My A3 has a VIN of 503726. Axel and most other date codes are mostly early 98 and the winch hydraulics are dated 12/97. I registered it as a 98. After S/N 504923 in 1998, all trucks produced had composit hoods.

rwoods

Since the M35A3s were built in such limited numbers for a set period of time, has anybody compiled which serial numbers were produced in what years?

GL lists many as 93's, simply because that's when the contracts started. I have seen several low serial numbers listed as 96's.

I have serial number 501114 that has a rust proofing sticker dated in 1996, and all of the axles are dated 1998.

I also have serial number 505044 which has a rust proofing sticker dated in 1998, and all of its axles are also dated 1998.
I was once the owner of serial #500001. It is now owned by a local church that is going to sell it to provide funds for local tornado victims. On behalf of the church, I contacted AM General to see if they could assist us in establishing the true production status of this truck as I could find no external written sources. Given the use to which the sales proceeds will be going, AM General kindly agreed and researched the matter which was apparently easier said than done. After considerable time, the reply was they have few records left but their production records show that #500001 is indeed the first production M35A3, produced in 1994 and it was sent to Tennessee. The 1993 date used by some GL posts is the contract date. I have a below 1500 serial number M35A3 with all date codes being late 96 and early 97 so I registered it as a 1997. I hope this helps you at least a little. Ron

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After considerable time, the reply was they have few records left but their production records show that #500001 is indeed the first production M35A3, produced in 1994 and it was sent to Tennessee. Ron
I would seriously think that if you were supplied with written documentation from AM General affirming that the truck is indeed the very first M35A3 produced, that it would be worth more money than any other A3. If the church has it for sale, I would recommend that they stress the fact that it is #1 and ask for an appropriately higher price.

a1abdj

I just crawled underneath my truck with the rust tag dated 1996, #1114. The axles are 1997s. I also found a 1969 tag on the transfer case.

I don't put a lot of faith on the tires themselves as you never really know how long they were warehoused prior to use. Between both trucks, the oldest tires are 1998 models, with the newest being 2008.

04Silversti

The one I purchased is number 501193, GL claims its a 93. EUC still hasnt cleared so I havent seen it to see the actual data plates or tires. I was thinking that could not be correct.

rwoods

I would seriously think that if you were supplied with written documentation from AM General affirming that the truck is indeed the very first M35A3 produced, that it would be worth more money than any other A3. If the church has it for sale, I would recommend that they stress the fact that it is #1 and ask for an appropriately higher price.
Thanks. Communication was by email. I figured that the buyer could ask for an affidavit from AM General as I have bugged them enough. It will be noted and it should be on eBay late next week. Ron

CobraCDR

Good thread here... Do you think AM General would simply release a master list of all serial numbers by year, etc. or don't you think they have the information stored that way?

RIDDLE1

I have truck number 500911 and it is a 1994 according to the paperwork.

I think the serial number is pretty cool considering I am a Paramedic!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one I purchased is number 501193, GL claims its a 93. EUC still hasnt cleared so I havent seen it to see the actual data plates or tires. I was thinking that could not be correct.
GL lists virtually all A3s as 93 models. When you get your truck, look at the date code tags on the axles and any other place you can find and you can narrow down the actual manufacturing date. What many don't realize is that when you apply for the SF97, the date that comes back on the SF97 is the date you placed on the application, not the date on the auction listing, etc.

Hooper

I have 502325

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks