• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody else here drive CUCVs while in the military?

Hal O'Peridol

Served in the Army from 1983 to 1993, started driving M151s, then 880 series, then the CUCV and tracks, 577 and 548.

Drove first series Hummers too, didn't like them, Not enough room for the driver if they are tall......I'm 6'4".

Oh, I forgot about the M35A2 Duece and the old VW vans from the TMPs in FRG. Boy those VW vans were fun to drive on the Autobahnen, especially on a windy day! :evil::evil:

Last edited:

SGT Flesh Hammer

Been in since 2001 driven M1009, M1009, numorus types of HMMWV's, Deuce, 5 ton, LMTV, FMTV,Scamps, LAV, MRAP, Cargo HEMMIT Fuel HEMMIT, M915, and all kinds of forklifts. The LMTV's and FMTV's as well as the MRAP (FMTV Based) all are too top heavy and roll over easily.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Went from an 880 to a M52 to a 151 to a 998 to a 1009 (and several 1008's) back to a 998 then 1097 but don't ride in this stuff except my own 1009. Still feel the 1009 is more than adequate for over 50% of what the military uses the HMMWV for. Can't vouch for this figure but was told at one time a 1009/1008 costs 1/4 of what a HMMWV costs to maintain (including fuel) per year.

DrJekl

I drove a few 1008, 1009, and 1028s while stationed in Korea in the early 90s. HMMWVs came in afetr that and the CUCVs were few and far between. I have a 1031 I bought last year and I drive it to work now and then. The gate guards enjoy my old DRMO stuff coming in the gate.

tankie88

Was Brit army from 78 to 87,drove none of the above.But drove Land Rover,Bedford,Stalwart,Bedford roadsweeper,Eager beaver forklift,Saracen,432,Cheiftain.Scorpian,Shir1(fore runner to Challenger) and Foden.

CUCV85

Served in the Army from 1983 to 1993, started driving M151s, then 880 series, then the CUCV and tracks, 577 and 548.

Drove first series Hummers too, didn't like them, Not enough room for the driver if they are tall......I'm 6'4".

Oh, I forgot about the M35A2 Deuce and the old VW vans from the TMPs in FRG. Boy those VW vans were fun to drive on the Autobahnen, especially on a windy day! :evil::evil:
:arrow:Been in since 95 and I can tell you that state side
we always fight for the CUCV's especially the M1009 Blazer
ILO these Humvees.
:idea:I wish the Military would go to a Duramax 9 Pass
(3 rd row removable seat) Tahoe.
I know there are these King Cab Pickups
out there right now with the Duramax painted just the OD Green:!:

IowaFamilyGuy

Drove 1008's for a lil bit, mostly used my LPCs. After college I rode in 1009s and 998s, occasionally in 5 Tons, HEMMTTs and 918s and 955s.

Personally I hated 998s if we were in Garrison, Sitting on those pillows over the batteries on Tarmac SUCKED. Now on sand and dirt, no issues. Pretty comfy then.

My new LTs always wondered why the old Captain never rode in the "Kewl new toys" and had a old Blazer as his primary...

My old Tops never questioned it though, usually asked if we had two... ;) I kept two for that reason...

whatsagoodalias

I kick a 1008 around the yard at work (civilian contractor attached to a Seebee battalion). Its the reason I bought a 1008 of my own. The sad thing is how beat up the poor yard truck is and the fact that they refuse to spend money to repair it. On a cold day, its kinda rough with no back window!

MSgt USMC (Ret)

I drove M1009 / M1008's from 1986 thru 1994. We beat the living snots out of them as I recall. It's nice when you have a motor pool and you can just drop it off with a brief description of the problem on the trip ticket. Drove hundreds of miles in the M923's and M927's as well as the M998 Hmmwv.