• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody else use LMC coolant hoses have trouble?

ajsmith184

I ordered both upper and lower, the lower just will not go on...I can get it on the radiator end, but the end to the water pump seems about 1/8" too small...Ive tried everything, never had trouble like this before. Should I give up and just get one from Napa, or am I doing something wrong?

Also...Anybody else not reuse the spring in the lower hose? Mine got kinda mangled getting it out haha

cscmc1

Could you try leaving it on the dash on a sunny day to see if it'll soften up at all? I guess it's a little late in the year to rely on solar energy to soften up a hose, though... maybe a little hair-dryer action to soften it up before installation? I had to do that with the hoses to my heater core when I replaced them. They were a VERY tight fit on the barbs.

Sorry I can't speak to the LMC hoses specifically, but if they were too tight, as you describe, I'd try softening the end up. Good luck!

135gmc

Years ago, I had to install a new radiator hose on a 1939 IR gasoline compressor - the cast iron radiator outlet and the thermostat outlet were nearly 1/4" different. We tried everything from STP on the large outlet to stretching the hose - nothing worked. Then, we put a coffee can full of water on the bench and started it boiling with a torch. We boiled that hose end for nearly 1/2 hour. After we cooked it, it went on just fine with some AF for lube. I was smart enough to wear fairly heavy gloves when I pulled it out of the can....

ajsmith184

Ill give it a try tonight...I would think this should work..Just wondering why all other ends seemed to go on without trouble.

Also, anybody have an opinion on the spring? Unnecessary for Michigan?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ill give it a try tonight...I would think this should work..Just wondering why all other ends seemed to go on without trouble.

Also, anybody have an opinion on the spring? Unnecessary for Michigan?

I'd try to replace it.....or whats left of it.

BTW, a good parts store in your work area is D&D Auto Parts, South side of Maple between Rochester and Stephenson.

ajsmith184

Thanks for the help...Have had a lot of older vehicles, never one with the spring..Will try to locate one though..

Seems Im paying for what has been an otherwise good running M1009...As I backed out Monday to drive to Lansing to meet you guys, I heard a clunk..Crawled under, and the tie rod end was just about completely broken...Odd bc when I bought this in March I checked everything in the front end and it was all good and tight..Guess Silverlake was a bit rough on it :oops:

It was when crawling under I felt a drip from the lower hose..Never noticed a leak in the driveway..Oh well, such is life with an MV I guess :doghead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks