• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody for More Power, Better mileage?

Bobert

Hello, this is Robert from Iowa. I've recently discovered this neat site and have been lerking in the shadows.

I don't know how many times I've seen someone say they get 20 some mpg or have enough power to peel out at a stoplight. The same could not be said for my m1009. The only good thing about this is that it makes my 81 3/4ton feel like a rocket ship.

I got my cucv off ebay for a trade in which I invested about $1400. It is not exactly mint condition, but all I've heard Is that everyone gets 20 mpg and such. I am stuck at 16 city and highway.

So how do you guys do it?

and I don't even wanna think about a turbo right now. I am not too sure about diesels yet. Could i hook up an air cleaner hose? Injectors? Pumps? Glow plugs? I am cornfused. :shock:

If nothing else, here is a picture I took for your enjoyment. And yes, that is a parking ticket.

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try running some lucas injector cleaner and lube in your fuel . Mabye you have some dirty injector nozzles. Make sure timing is the timing is right. And be sure the air filter is in good shape. 6.2's in stock form are starving for air. You will see a small increase in power when the lucas starts to clean the injectors and the spray pattern comes back. But for a big increase in power you'll need to increase the fuel rate about a 1/8 turn. There are a few threads in this forum on turning up the fuel on a CUCV. That should get you started. You might also try a tank of boidiesel. You will get worse milage on bio. But it will clean the injectors very well. And the next tank of regular diesel will get better milage. Also make sure your torque converter clutch is working. If it isn't locking up you will loose alot of highway milage.

mangus580

ken said:
Also make sure your torque converter clutch is working. If it isn't locking up you will loose alot of highway milage.
Umm... there is no Lockup on the TH400...

How many miles are on it? if its in excess of 100k, I would suggest a new Injection Pump....

Westech

CPL
mang is right, a new pump will do you wonders. It seams that the factory pump did ok to a point but you have to remember that the pumps are over twenty years old and things have dried out, worn out, pitted from water... the list goes on and on. Also a good injector cleaner could help to clean things out also. I like using Diesel 911.

Armada

Also check drive train. Do you still have the stock 3:08 gears? Get going down the road and slip into nuetral. Does it coast fairly well or does there seem to be drag. Hubs warm? Maybe a dragging brake. Does the truck pull? The calipers on that era gm truck can freeze or stick after it's a few years old. Injector pump is a biggie though.

Bobert

Cool, I didn't suspect there could be that many tricks. Thanks.

It is at 59,000 miles now. The carfax said it was sold by the army in hawaii and had 2 or three owners before me.

It has the stock gears (as far as I know).I had to replace some seals when the u jointwent out. It seems to coast alright, I did the rear brakes after the parking break was sticking. Its only pulls and wobbles when I stop hard, but I think I need to adjust them a bit. I'll check out the front ones too.

The previous owner trew in an air cleaner hose. I am not sure If that would be better than the hole in the air cleaner? they must have put them on for a reason but was the army just lazy and took them off?

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Bobert

I'll try to post a copy of it, says it was sold in 1994 with 23, 319miles . Now that you mention it, I guess I'm could be off 100,000.

Not sure how it got here from Hawaii. It has a hawaii inspection sticker, and an alaska sticker?? The previous owner seemed to go along with this.

It is pretty well traveled, We recently took it to New Mexico 900 miles in one day both ways. The best mileage we got was 17.5 at about 60-65. worst was 13 when my dad raced it at 75 avg.

Going up a 14,000ft pass it smoked a lot but still passed an old s10 at 30mph with our trailer.

Attachments

mangus580

Roughly $300, depending on where you go. An 'expert' told me it is best to have YOUR pump rebuilt... not to just trade it in....

Bobert

I just looked at the auto parts store and they have rebuilt ones for $685. Definately need to find a place that does them.

Got some injector cleaner to try for $5. I'll see what that does.

Mike_Pop

I only get 16.1 out of my M1009, highway and city. I did however, get over 20 while going to Virginia Beach. Top speeds were 60mph.

It hasn't smoked going over the Rockies but is sure is a dog with a trailer behind it.

I wouldn't mind getting more power out of mine as well.

mangus580

As I have said before, another major thing with the 'power' of the 1009's is the rear end gears. Ditch the 3.08 gears, and toss in at least 3.42, or 3.73 gears. You will be alot happier!!

Croatan_Kid

If you drive highway a whole lot, you might check into swapping in a 700R4 for the overdrive. If you coupled overdrive with some 3.73s, it'd work out pretty well I think.

mangus580

:ditto:

:driver:

In progress [thumbzup]

I have had a 700R4 in mine for over a year now....

If only I knew how to install the damn gears I have sitting in my office!!

Bobert

So If I were to get 3.73 or 3.42 gears, and bigger say 33'' tires, would I be back where I started for "power" and mileage? do you know of a magic combonation? I'd love a 700R4 but can't justify it for a couple of years ( I hope).

Oh and Magnus, Is you m1009 up there lifted? it looks pretty sharp.

Croatan_Kid

I'm currently sitting on almost $700 in parts for my 700R4...flywheel to t-case adapter. My buddy just doesn't have much spare time with two jobs, so it's gunna have to wait a while before it's built, but it's free labor and a free transmission. I really can't wait! Then once I pull the TH400 out, I can sell that and cover part of the cost of the swap. That's justification enough for me. I also have some 35s waiting to go on the M1008 too. I think the combo of overdrive and 35s should compliment each other nicely with 4.56s.

Hey, about those gears you have...I just put some gears in some 10 bolts on Sunday. It's not hard at all and I would help you do it if you were closer. What ratio do you have? The ones I put in were 4.88s in a shortbed GMC with a 6.2/700R4/208 combo....a civvy truck version of the M1009 basically, lol.

Now, as for a "magic combo".....33s would go well with 4.10s. I'm now sure how many RPMs you would be running on the highway, but you would have plenty of gear to turn the tires and it would work well with overdrive, I'm sure. However, with no overdrive and 33s, 3.73s would work I think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks