• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody got M880 restoration tips?

fslay0435

I'm about to get some plans together to restore my old M880. I intend to take it down to the rolling frame so I can sandblast all the parts, repaint, and put back together. I was wondering if somebody might could make a permanent thread on the forum with tips and tricks that somebody restoring one of these can use to help them along the way. Kind of a comprehensive list, so to speak. I sure could use some of that info myself.

For instance, it seems like I saw where somebody has left the cab and front clip bolted together, and removed as a single unit. I have a heavy duty hoist in my shop, so weight is not an issue. I would like to keep it as simple as possible.

Also, anything special about bed removal, things to look for during teardown, that kind of stuff. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

N1265

Nothing special about the bed removal. I suggest that once you get it off to pull the fuel sending unit from the top of the tank and inspect it, it may save you from having to drop the tank at a later time...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sandblasted and zinc oxide primed my 880 cab, thinking that would protect it from rust. Nope, it rusted from the inside out, from places where there is no primer behind the headliner. Seal up all the seams in the roof as best you can after sandblasting.

Lawrence of Arabia

Phone Pics 010.jpgPulled my GMC cab & clip off in one piece. Not sure structurally how the M880 would do pulling it like that. I have had both style trucks apart and they seem to be structurally very similar.

fslay0435

Yes I would be pulling the front clip apart anyway. I was just curious to see if its easier overall during teardown to pull cab and front clip all in one piece or break it down as I go.

fslay0435

My truck already had a pretty big suspension lift on it. Looks like the sway bars are disconnected on the ends. Does that lift kit need to come out? Don't want to wear out any parts like universal joints and this looks like a half hearted job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks