• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anybody know what kind of axles are under this

AJMBLAZER

They're German axles. ZF I think.

Our government ordered Dually single cab C30's (2wd) with no beds, sent them to a company in Germany, and they converted them into those tugs. Planetary axles (similar to a Mog but BEEEEEGER), DEEP gearing, I *THINK* rear steer, full time transfer case...can't remember if the t-case was reduction or 1:1, chopping off part of the rear frame, and the suspension consisted of large, heavy rubber blocks between the axles and the frame. Top speed was damn slow.

I worked at a FBO at the Gerald R Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids, MI a few years back. We were starting to get customers with larger jets (over 50k pounds) and my boss traded for one of those. Our mechanic had it working pretty well when I left that job. I've since seen a few converted into mud trucks by ditching the bumpers and swapping some GM parts back in for the transfer case and suspension.

dilvoy

I looked at one a few years ago at an auction and was suprised to see that the engine, trans and transfer were normal CUCV stuff. 6.2, turbo 400 and 208, but the transfer was clocked so the front output was straight down instead of on the right hand side. It had a special brake master cylinder for the large brakes and as mentioned four wheel steering. The front bumper must weigh a thousand lbs or more and the weight in the bed may be double or triple that. It had some weird controlls inside, but I diden't even bother to figure out what they were for, probably for the steering though.

AJMBLAZER

dilvoy, you sure on the transfer case?

Ours had something different divorce mounted under the truck as the trucks were originally 2wd. The last one I saw converted into a 4x4 mud bogger required the guy to covert the transmission to a 4x4 version and run a NP205.

Bobert

I got some pictures of the one down at the ia surplus.

It had the np208 and ZahnradFabrik axles.

Way taller than a cucv. This one is $1900.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

You know...I'm thinking ours must have been a different variant of this setup as ours literally just had really big rubber blocks between the axles and frame and the transfer case definitely wasn't a clocked NP like in your picture.

JohnFire

my neck hurts from looking at the pics. :lol: I had the same thought about it being a great rock crawler design. They are dual steer where the front and rear will steer, right?

ford381stroker

I had a set of those ZF axles. They are geared 22:1. Planetary axles. I had no clue they were so desireable. A guy up in Canada bought them off of me and paid for shipping also. They weighed in at 1500 lbs with the pallet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks