• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody mount a snow plow on their deuce?

dc3coyote

I dont think the side of the road needed plowing. I guess that is why you should always have someone with you to hold your beer, while your plowing.

DicedDeuceMan

Power V:twisted: That will work with one pass. Did you build it?
Plowing some parking lots, mostly big developments, one pass each way, done.. Yes, built it, took alittle time to design. Like a month straigh, truck and plow. If you would drive it, you would understand, "kick *zz" being the only way to describe it.

JAYHAWK 1962

I wonder if you could hook a smaller size blade to the tow hook mounts and use a bottle jack and chain hookup to raise and lower it. That way there would not be so much snow build up (with a smaller blade). Also angling the blade would help that also.

greenjeepster

Our drive is long and steep and as a couple of switch backs. The truck is going to have to push some snow though it will be banking up on the sides. What kills a plow truck is the weight of the plow on the ball joints and front suspension and hitting snowbanks at 40 mph like most plow guys do. The first year I plowed commercially I tore up 4 transmissions. Then an old timer said to slow down and decelerate before pushing the snow into the bank. Ease slowly and then once you feel the resistance of the bank accelerate to pile the snow up. The transmission can handle accelerating into a load but not stopping dead because of one.

The snow blower would be cool, and would be real easy to put on the front of a deuce if it had its own power source. I would just raise and lower with a standard dump truck plow frame. I am going to look long and hard for the blower. I just like that idea better.

SasquatchSanta

I would think there would be a market for a packaged plow kit for a deuce ---- possibly even a market for bobbed deuces kitted with a plows.

If I were going to build a deuce plow truck I'd go with a non-winch truck with hard top, heater and stock 900 or 1100 rubber. I'd bob it (seriously short) for manueverability, add power steering and spin out hubs on the REAR axle. By being able to disengage the rear axle instead of the front you could use the front axle where all the weight is to power the vehicle and therefore not have to constantly run in 4WD and risk "winding up" the drive line. I'd also install an insulated and heated battery box, block and oil pan heater/s.

Sounds like a good project/enterprise for John Tennis.

southdave

the one in picture is on ebay for couple of hundred buck, I was searching skid steers i was more interested in the truck. Also if your in lex. ky checkout Art's tool rental surre they have a used snow blower use a power pact or hook up pto

fasttruck

Drove m35a2 with plow in service. Clamped onto front axle and was supported on lifting points on front bumper after shackles were removed. Used 12v meyer pump wired to one battery on truck. An air operated hoist would be practical on m35 or m 809 series as they have air brakes.

greenjeepster

Drove m35a2 with plow in service. Clamped onto front axle and was supported on lifting points on front bumper after shackles were removed. Used 12v meyer pump wired to one battery on truck. An air operated hoist would be practical on m35 or m 809 series as they have air brakes.
That is not a bad idea, I didn't even think about using a pneumatic actuator. Might be problematic with freezing temps though.

fasttruck

Condensate in vehicle air supplies is always a winter problem. Think about installing an alcohol kit if this is a problem where you are. If the plow hoist freezes up it is a good bet the brakes will too.

jollyroger

I have a Loftness 96" three stage snow blower that mounts on the three point of our John Deere 2950 tractor. 85 PTO rated horespower. It takes EVERYTHING that tractor has to run it. If the snow is heavy and wet then the chute plugs up cause it does not want to throw the snow fast enough up and out. I don't know how big of a hydralic system it would take to run that much constant flow hydralic power and the fluid cooling system would have to be pretty big. Just some thoughts. I do like the air actuators to lift and rake the blade. :grin:

Dodgeman1941

I have a plow on my duece. It is built with a Northern Hydralics pump that I tried the 3rd bat and 12-24 converter and that didn't fly. I ended up contacting NH to see if they have 24v parts to convert and basicly if it ain't in the catalog, they don't have a clue, so I contacted the manufacturer {haldex if I remember correctly} and bought a new 24v motor, relay and valve coils. As for preformance, when most pick up plow guys are standing on the gas to push the snow up the pile, I have the brakes locked up and sliding into the pile. One word of caution, if you mount anything the the cross member that the radiator is mounted to, make sure it over laps the frame because it is possible to push the cross member up and break the rivits, I found out the hard way.

greenjeepster

Dodgeman: you have any pics you can send me?

A blower on a deuce could probably be powered off of PTO with a hydraulic pump and motor, but the cost of set up would be prohibitive. A pony motor right on the blower would be the cheapest and easiest setup.

cabingto

i made mine for 9 ft plow, comes off in summer in 1/2 hour, i put it on with my backhoe, were hooks are on bumper with two bolts it then swings down and bolts to frame near sterring box on both sides with 3 or 4 bolts on each side, is very heavy duty, you need more my email is rayjsdreams@yahoo.com i do have pics if i can get someone to show me how to send then. not real computer smart. Ray

Jake907

I've been reading the different threads about Deuces with snowplows, so I thought I would post some pics of one of the trucks that we have at work.

This is a 1996 Freightliner with a Detroit series 60 engine, Allison transmission, 6x6. The rear axles are Rockwell I believe, and the front is a Marmon-Herrington. This thing is a BEAST, we use them to plow the highways here in Alaska, they were made special order for the State of Alaska DOT.

It is a pain in the A** to work on and a money pit to maintain, but when everything is working right there is no equal! ha ha. This one has a highway style nose plow, a belly blade, wing plow and a sander.

2014-03-27 09.14.31.jpg2014-03-27 09.14.11.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks