• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody Running 915,916,917,920 without the secondary air filter

Hooty481

Just wondering if running my 915 with out the secondary air filter would be bad on it. I know in really harsh conditions it needs both but in normal conditions could I get by with the the outer element? What do you think?

LanceRobson

I think that since the engine would generally cost more that the truck itself I'd call a Cummins dealer and get the advice from the horse's mouth.

If things go as planned the stock air filter on my M915A1 is getting yanked out and a filter is going either on the fender horizontally or vertically by the corner of the cab so it breaths cooler air and uses a less expensive and easier to find filter assembly.

Lance

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have yet to find a inner filter to replace mine with. Right now I'm only running an outer filter. I would also like to look into putting a filter out on the fender/side cowl for cooler air and a easier/cheaper filter.

Westech

CPL
the filters are hard to find even in the ARMY system. For state side non dirt environment i would say the outer filter would be fine. how many cars/trucks only have a single filter and are still alive....

gpcpilot

We farm with our 915 (tows grain trailer/spray trailer) and would never consider running without the secondary filter. But, we have really dusty roads and run on gravel about 75% of the time. We found an inner filter from our local John Deere dealer. Took it out and had him match it up, since most of our diesel tractors and combine have dual filter on them.

I don't remember the JD part number and the truck's not here (being painted). If you have access to a JD dealer in your area, you might give that a try.

Alternatively, I've seen some NOS filters on an internet auction site and they're priced competitively.

-Tony

M813A1

I would bet you can get away with just the outer element !! With the use you are going to use it for and it would also allow the engine to breath easier with the single element !! I am sure you could find a single element to fit that has a smaller micron size as a replacement filter . Another thing you can do is find a place that cleans air filters ?? Because most heavy truck filters can be washed several time before disposing of them .

Last edited:

Bighurt

I've toyed with replacing my unit with a commercially available model.

Air filter housings can be had of used wrecked trucks pretty cheap.

Speedwoble

On the farm equipment I design, the inner filter is not a secondary filter, it is a safety filter. It is never to be cleaned, and only to be removed for replacement. Theory is that since the outer element is frequently being cleaned(<50hrs), it is more likely to fail. The safety filter protects the engine in case of the outer element failing.

On an over the road truck, where the air filter is not being cleaned as often, you could probably get away with it. just ensure your outer element is in good shape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks