• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody used Ace Rust Stop paint on their MV

Hooty481

we are painting metal trash cans with it yellow and green and looked good on the cans but was't sure the durability... Ive used the rust stop in the rattle cans and had no luck that junk just washes off but didnt know about the brush on...

N1265

I have used the 1 Qt can stuff on my plow ( yellow) I applied it with a 3" chip brush over rustoleum rusty metal primer, on new and used metal parts that were wired brushed with a cup brush on an angle grinder.

It has held up well for two plow seasons now...

Attachments

Last edited:

bratpackdad

I have used the 1 Qt can stuff on my plow ( yellow) I applied it with a 3" chip brush over rustoleum rusty metal primer, on new and used metal parts that were wired brushed with a cup brush on an angle grinder.

It has held up well for two plow seasons now...
You painted that??? It looks new

Kalashnikov

I use it at work. It sprays nice in the rattle cans but it's pretty much re branded Rustoleum. Not the most durable either.

jasonjc

Hey N1265 does the plow blade just ride on the ground?? Down here they have wheels on them so they don't wear the wear bars down. And they wounder why they can't get the ice and snow off the roadsauaaua Or am I wrong?

Katahdin

Hey N1265 does the plow blade just ride on the ground?? Down here they have wheels on them so they don't wear the wear bars down. And they wounder why they can't get the ice and snow off the roadsauaaua Or am I wrong?
If you look on the lower left/right sides there's insert holes for plow shoes that help the blade ride above the ground. Not so much an issue for wearing down the blade, but when the ground isn't frozen it helps prevent rolling up gravel or the edge of a lawn.

Removing the shoes won't always get the ice, that's why they make salt spreaders that sit in the back of truck bed. Towns up here use a lot of salt, calcium chloride, etc to melt the ice.

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonjc

Well down here they use wheels to keep the blade off the ground. So they leve an inch or two of snow behind to get packed down. I grew up in WI as soon as the flakes started to fall the plows were out and every truck the city had , had plows. Here they wait till its done. Then its packed down so hard they can't do any thing about it. Roads are still covered from the snow we got on Tuesday. Schools have been out for 9 days.

dabtl

If you have access to some chemical supplier, they all have a rust re-converter sometimes called TREX that works wonders on rusty metal. It basically makes rusty metal into primer for painting.

N1265

Yes, my plow rides on the ground. 85% of the guys who plow up here do not use shoes and I have never seen anybody plow with wheels. like previously stated, shoes are nice when doing gravel allies, gravel drive ways or when you are conserned about tearing up the surface ( black top in bad shape ) I have seen state trucks and townships run shoes on there trucks set at about 1/2" high, but these guys are plowing at 40 MPH. and at that speed it is easy to tear something up, including the truck !

I've said it many times and I'll say it again. Not any old Joker can plow snow. Although it is not hard, It does take some knowledge...

Thanks for the complements on the paint job. Rustoleum does make a good product, I use it a lot and recommend it. However I do have to say the best primer I have ever used for this kind of work is Kem-kromic from S&W. But the price of it is so high I hardly ever use it anymore.

Flyingvan911

like said so many times, rustoleum rusty metal primer is by far the best out there, trick, let dry 3 days i think.
I like Rustoleum too. The small things I've painted I have top coated in about 24 hours usually. When I repaint my deuce, I will let the metal primer sit for 3 days. When it comes to small things, I usually don't follow the directions too well. Dry is dry and I can repaint it later. I will do it right for the truck. I hate rust.