• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone added a "Mojave" heater to their Humvee ?

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed another heater very close to what you are doing in the back of a unit I had a few years ago. It made a big difference to the heat in the unit. I also used a step down transformer 24V to 12V and it worked very well. Watch how you run your wireing and water lines. Good luck in your endeavor. Eddy

Shamrocker1

My linkage wasn’t opening mine fully so I took it off and opened the valve fully. It still doesn’t get hot at all and I just put a new Cadillac Valve on it as the old one was bad keeping the fan fully engaged all of the time. I have not cleaned out my heater core either. Are they suggesting that this “flushing” could make my heater significantly hotter? Tx

Awol

My linkage wasn’t opening mine fully so I took it off and opened the valve fully. It still doesn’t get hot at all and I just put a new Cadillac Valve on it as the old one was bad keeping the fan fully engaged all of the time. I have not cleaned out my heater core either. Are they suggesting that this “flushing” could make my heater significantly hotter? Tx
Flushing could make it significantly hotter if the heater core is plugged up with crap. Most of these trucks have heater cores that are all plugged up, so it's not a bad idea to flush it out.

NormB

The heaters in these things are very under engineered for sure. You'd think a vehicle that suffers from chronic overheating issues would produce nuclear heat, but it doesn't. I flushed my cooling system out really well and all sorts of junk came out. I pulled the heater core and rigged up a chunk of garden hose to blow hot water through it from my wash tub faucet, and another to discharge back into the sink. After lots of thunking and banging while forcing the hot water through all sorts of chunks of solidified sediment and crap came out. When the water pressure coming out is equal to what's going in, you'll know it's more-or-less cleaned out. Made somewhat of a difference in mine, which at the time was only giving luke-warm air at best. Now it's warm. lol
ditto, but I reversed the hoses a couple times. Did this AFTER using two bottles of prestone engine/radiator flush followed by TWO fresh water flushes. Took about a half hour for the heater core to run clear.

Action

Take the core out for flushing to keep the crap from coming back in. I replaced my core with an early H1 core. It was slightly wider and still fit the housing. That was a big improvement in heat output.