• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone bid on "sealed bid" auctions?

two.fiveM35

Don't leave us hanging.

i don't think GL is concerned about customer service right now. I bet they worried how they are going to pay their bill in the future. There's not much money to be made in non rolling stock.

3dAngus

With ALL due respect, I disagree. "collectively' puts it all in one man's hands.
Grievences need to be BROADCAST
IMHO
Nothing to disagree about at all. You may have taken it wrong. I just offered one recourse of many. Not trying to write a book here about ALL the different approaches. Thats why I said, carry on (the complaints)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL has a new contract. Looks like they are taking ownership of the items and then reselling to buyers.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?133848-GL-s-New-Contract
Well since with this new contract they own it and have the right to sell it anyway they want . I guess anybody not happy with they way they sell it could bid against them on the next contract . It is no different than someone listing a scrap deuce in the SS classifieds for $50,000 , if you don't like the price don't buy it .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am the proud new owner of a box of chains.

Once I get them I'll probably put some in the classifieds since I don't need 180 of them. :oops:

I'm getting tired of having straps wear through and snapping so I got these. They are small diameter chain rated at 10,000lbs with a grab hook. I've got 2 and love them.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Egats! Chains are not my favorite item. With that said coupled with the facts that 1) you have 180 of them and 2) I'm building a wrecker, I may have to purchase a few. Looks like adding J hooks could give me a nice hook up platform.

3dAngus

How long are they Chris. I love chains. Wish I havent sold all mine.
It would be interesting to know how many would fit in a medium priority mail box (flat rate), if they still have that in 2015. Great way to ship up to 70 pounds but you get those funny looks at the post office. :)

gimpyrobb

I guess I forgot to put that info in there, 9ft. I'm hoping I can get 2 in the $6 flat rate padded envelope, "many" should fit in a medium box.

My post office doesn't like to see me when I come in. I often have to place my shipments in a cart for them. I bet I'm behind the counter more than anyone else that goes there!

andy3

Oooooooooooooo Andy like.

On the post office side. I got a set of tire chains delivered and the postwoman was cursing at the 60lb boxes.She was really mad that she had marked them as delivered and had refused to deliver them. I called the local PostMaster, whom I knew, and she was back in an hour carrying them to my doorstep.

3dAngus

She could be fired for marking them as delivered and not delivering.
The postmaster general set the 70 pound limit.
I thought it was high, but it is what it is.
I have shipped many 65 pound boxes of shackles and they dont like them, but people at the counter often realize it pays their salaries. Good people for the most part.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am the proud new owner of a box of chains.

Once I get them I'll probably put some in the classifieds since I don't need 180 of them. :oops:

I'm getting tired of having straps wear through and snapping so I got these. They are small diameter chain rated at 10,000lbs with a grab hook. I've got 2 and love them.

Those are nice. The hook is bent like that to use on aircraft floors tie downs. I was doing a pick up and my ratchet straps were a little short for the load. The GL rep did not hesitate to bring some of these out and told me to use them. He had plenty :)
Some GL employees are outstanding and do understand customer service.

Plugugly

Those chains look nice. I was watching something that was "sealed bid", I wanted to see what it went for. When the auction ended, they just up and vanished. The GL website is pretty convoluted if you want to do research on stuff like that. Sometimes if you bookmark a specific page, you can view it for a long time after the sale, and sometimes they vanish into the void.

On the side topic, I rarely understand their bulk groupings. I was cruising the listings and saw some item I thought might be nice to have a spare of, I think it was a hydraulic PTO. I was not quite ready to bid on 80 of them. I think they would often make much more money if they sold smaller lots of items like that. Especially something that you could ship a few of cheaply, but gets really expensive for a crate of them.

gimpyrobb

Most of the folks I deal with on site are excellent. The corporate office is who I have the most issues with.

dawico

Congrats on the chains.

I am sure a few members here could use them all at once. The pics of trucks stuck in the middle of nowhere are abundant.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I love the sealed bids. I have gotten lots from the sealed bids for next to nothing and I have seen the identical items go for thousands at open bid auction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks