• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Deal With Green Mountain Generators?

CT-Mike

Thinking of maybe skipping the whole GL lottery and picking up a refurbed unit from GMG. Only issue is the $5K price tag for a MEP-003A. So I am wondering if anyone has dealt with them? Is the premium that you pay worth it in the mechanical and electrical condition of the machine?

Thanks,

Mike

DeucesWild11

I never dealt with them either but decided to bid and won my first MEP-002, but it needs a little work as they all do. Depends on your Skill level and your wallet.

Some guys here sell them, check out the classifieds.:D

CT-Mike

I never dealt with them either but decided to bid and won my first MEP-002, but it needs a little work as they all do. Depends on your Skill level and your wallet.

Some guys here sell them, check out the classifieds.:D
I have been checking the classifieds and no luck so far.

Isaac-1

With the weather events on the east coast I suspect just about all the ones that had been for sale have sold in the last couple of weeks. If you give it a couple of months some will likely turn up.

Ike

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For $5k you can find a good used Kubota diesel powered unit that any generator guy can service and maintain. Most of them won't work on the military generators.

Buy Kubota power, you will be happier. I've had a couple of military generators, what a pain. Now I have a civi generator and it works flawlessly every time.

For the green stuff, I will stick to the trucks.

CT-Mike

For $5k you can find a good used Kubota diesel powered unit that any generator guy can service and maintain. Most of them won't work on the military generators.

Buy Kubota power, you will be happier. I've had a couple of military generators, what a pain. Now I have a civi generator and it works flawlessly every time.

For the green stuff, I will stick to the trucks.
A friend at work is a diesel engineer so no worries when it comes to repairs. I am looking for a MEP because of their ability to run 24/7 for weeks on end.

storeman

CT-Mike,
Don't buy too much capability. You will only waste fuel and, perhaps damage the unit if you can't load it sufficiently. 003a is great as is 002a. Both have more capability than is obvious. Take a realistic look at your true power needs and go from there.
Jerry

dstang97

I bought some stuff from him and I know for a fact that he goes through the generators and sells them as good usable generators. I would never spend that much, but at least you know what you are getting. I have $1500 into my mep-002a. deals are out there, but this is the worst time to look for a generator. ANd good luck finding anything in CT. deals are few and far in between.

storeman

The question to GMG is not clear in my mind, but the assurance is crap in my mind.

October 3, 2012 at 12:50 am Reply Hi, We are looking for a generator that would put out: (2) 230volt, 50 amp, 3-phase.
Please call 413-426-1599
James Kingsbury

• GMG Replied to James Kingsbury
    October 12, 2012 at 6:13 pm Reply
    Yes, all of our units can easily support that needed output supply. The 10kW continuous-run MEP003A unit would be ideal for this application.

I looked t the site and would urge caution. Super high prices and no track record.

Jerry :beer::beer:

dstang97

The question to GMG is not clear in my mind, but the assurance is crap in my mind.

October 3, 2012 at 12:50 am Reply Hi, We are looking for a generator that would put out: (2) 230volt, 50 amp, 3-phase.
Please call 413-426-1599
James Kingsbury

• GMG Replied to James Kingsbury
    October 12, 2012 at 6:13 pm Reply
    Yes, all of our units can easily support that needed output supply. The 10kW continuous-run MEP003A unit would be ideal for this application.

I looked t the site and would urge caution. Super high prices and no track record.

Jerry :beer::beer:

Who was that from?? Thats not the guy I dealt with.

CT-Mike

I appreciate the feedback. There is a guy in MA that has an -003A for sale and is asking $4300. May just take him up on it if he still has it after the holidays, offering like $3500 or so. I will keep looking in the meantime.

I currently have a 5500W portable that will power most essential loads, and we did use it for 60 hrs after Sandy knocked out the power. The problem is that it won't power the central AC. The wife has nasty asthma, and heat and humidity set her off. She ended up in the ICU twice this year because of acute attacks. So i need a genset that will handle the central air. Not sure on the tonnage rating but it is a single unit for our 2200 sq ft home.

It is for that reason that I need a dependable unit and the MEP's seem to fit the bill. Since the 5500W that I currently have will handle the well pump, oil fired hot water heater control circuits, lights (all fluorescent), refrigerator, freezer, and two garage door openers, I am certain that an -003A will cover all that plus the AC.

Luckily during Irene last year the weather was mild and we didn't need the AC when the power was out for 6 days.

Thanks all,

Mike

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to spend that kind of money for an 003 and it is mission critical (anything to do with my wife is) then why not get a new one?

I personally want one from Hardy in the 10-17Kw size. They have a sizing calculator and you may need something different than what you think. In the case of a diesel generator bigger isn't always better.

If for nothing else a newer unit should have better parts availability.

M725

GMG is high price.If you are going to spend that kind of money. You should look in to a home gen set by Gentac or other brands. At a near by Costco They have a 12kw set with a transfer switch auto start up, all so have a once a month auto test start up. It sales for $2,200.00 .At GMG price you can get 2 of these and have money left over to pay to have them install.
Also the sound level is a lot lower:D.

Isaac-1

I would stay away from anything from the big box stores, most (all) of the consumer generators sold to the residential market, both portable and stationary on the market today are junk. There are still some good ones in the commercial lines, but these start at around $5,000 - $7,000. If you are going to buy new, buy Kohler, or the better Cummins Onan, and what ever you do stay away from Generac (they spend all their money advertising being the best, not making their generators any good, you also see a lot of them in commercial locations as they are almost always the low bidder, but will cost you a fortune in the long run on support)

Ike

GMG is high price.If you are going to spend that kind of money. You should look in to a home gen set by Gentac or other brands. At a near by Costco They have a 12kw set with a transfer switch auto start up, all so have a once a month auto test start up. It sales for $2,200.00 .At GMG price you can get 2 of these and have money left over to pay to have them install.
Also the sound level is a lot lower:D.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks