• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone done this swap recently...few questions

POOR WHITE BOY

For oil cooler i have a oem factory unit out of a 1986 suburban - it mounts in front of the radiator and is a bolt on unit - no holes to drill. I also kept the m1028 fuel tank as it has a very large filler neck makes filling up with gas very fast and easy

ehuppert

You can still use the rad oil cooler, but will need the oil filter base assy if the BB doesn't have it. Better to have detached coller though... Ran into a issue with a V series truck and BBC. Owner had aftermarket "high-performance" oil pan to be installed with new motor. Well, kick-out was directly below oil filter and with larger filter base (factory oil cooler) smaller oil filter had to be used and was still very difficult to fit!

Both of my diesel to SBC conversions retained the diesel radiator, heat was never a problem with the diesel rad. BB might be a little different story though. Would definitly go for the largest tranny cooler possible though.

As for intake, i normally use edelbrock dual plane. Carbs.... Just pulled a edelbrock off my truck as it had some major issues (throttle shaft slop). I'm a mechanic by trade (well, before a mil career) and personally feel the edelbrock series to be garbage. Replaced mine with a quadrajet and it made a world of difference. Quadrajets with elec choke are readily available, rebuild kit is maybe $25..... So $25 carb + $25 kit = less than new carb!

Napa is sometimes pricey for aftermarket parts, Jegs or $ummit are sometimes a little more reasonable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks