• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ever added a 2nd fuel tank?

Wolfie

I want to add a 2nd original 20 gallon fuel tank to my '86 m1009, but can't figure out an ideal location where it might fit. I'd like to stash it underneath the truck with the first original tank if there's room since I want to keep alot of space in the back cargo area. Anyone done this before? Any suggestions?

CCATLETT1984

look into mounting the suburban 40gal tank in the original location, its been done on civilian blazers, although the brackets for the d-rings may be in the way, as well as the brackets for the pintle.

Wolfie

Hummm...I actually need a separate fuel tank, it's for a WVO conversion...although a 40gal tank would be bitchin'...with an additional 20gal tank I could really get around without having to refuel.

JohnFire

till you need to get the loan for when you have to refuel. I am starting to get mad when the pump shuts off at $75 for 16 gal and I need to go somewhere else to get the rest.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I believe there is a thread about turning the stock 5gallon jerry can mount into the main diesel tank, and then using the stock tank for WVO. I don't know if it ever worked out though. Be carefull with that 6.2 IP with WVO as from what I hear they are less forgiving then other IPs.

Rocco

I would like to hook back up my other fuel tank on the 5 ton but I dont know how.
I have never messed with duel tanks.

rod

Re: RE: Anyone ever added a 2nd fuel tank?

JohnFire said:
..... I am starting to get mad when the pump shuts off at $75 for 16 gal and I need to go somewhere else to get the rest....
I also deal with this when filling up the pickup or the M1009. When the pump cuts off at $75.00, all I do is hang up the pump and start it again. This works well with the debit card or credit card.

Wolfie

Re: RE: Anyone ever added a 2nd fuel tank?

rod said:
JohnFire said:
..... I am starting to get mad when the pump shuts off at $75 for 16 gal and I need to go somewhere else to get the rest....
I also deal with this when filling up the pickup or the M1009. When the pump cuts off at $75.00, all I do is hang up the pump and start it again. This works well with the debit card or credit card.
I'm lucky enough to have found a local biodiesel pump run by a small local company, it's about $0.40- $0.50 less per gallon than diesel and there's no shutoff amount. It just sucks if you get low on fuel on a Sunday or during hours when they are closed.

As for any impending IP issue I've been throwing in some diesel fuel treatment as a precaution, so far so good.

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Anyone ever added a 2nd fuel tank?

There's a fairly recent thread on here by a fellow who's done just this. However he had another tank mounted on the driver's side of the truck behind the rear seat and on/above the wheel well hump. There really isn't much space under those Blazers to mount another tank. Maybe you could piggy back one under or over the stocker...but it would be small and all the wiring/hoses would be a PITA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks