• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ever recovery M101A3s with a 26' Box Truck

pmramsey

Was there any room to spare? I'm just not sure if 4 101s will fit in a row...
The lift gate truck I used had tie-down rings in the floor. The three trailers were six-inches too long so I removed the landing gear on the last M105 and rolled it into the box with the tongue up and facing the front. The first two tongues were down and facing the back of the box. This gave me the clearance to close rear door. A side door afforded additional room to work the tie-downs and inspect the load throughout the trip. I used front and back chocks on each trailer wheel and used four chains and four heavy duty rachet straps. The load in there was tight as a tick. It was the same when unloaded.

I cannot speak to four M101A3s in a 26 footer.

cjk3500

We hauled 6 on a 30' gooseneck before with only 1 stacked hope the truck has tie downs
How much of the trailer did the 1st 4 take up?

It seems like my suburban is running better. Since I have to drive to MD to pick up the box truck anyway I'll drive my suburban and if I have to I'll hook one of the 4 to that and pray it runs all the way back... I'm going to try and check out one of the trucks locally to see what kind of hitch it has.

rickf

I don't know about the height in the truck you are getting but I now someone that was getting four at a time by standing them on end.

Rick

ecupirate

If you take off all the rails, bows, tires etc Justin and his guys will stack them, I was up there last friday and a guy recovered two with a cucv. I would recommend the truck, trailer and a lot of tiedowns. Uhaul trucks are a bit cheaper and they will cut you a deal if you get the truck and trailer. I think you could get two in either the 20' or 24' truck, then put the other two on a uhaul car trailer. Justin at Ft. Meade actually recommends using a uhaul car trailer for dual recoveries.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NO AMOUNT OF O.D. IRON IS WORTH GETTING YOU OR OTHERS HURT OR WORSE!!!!!!!
"THINK.............SAFETY " [thumbzup] popacom

cjk3500

If you take off all the rails, bows, tires etc Justin and his guys will stack them, I was up there last friday and a guy recovered two with a cucv. I would recommend the truck, trailer and a lot of tiedowns. Uhaul trucks are a bit cheaper and they will cut you a deal if you get the truck and trailer. I think you could get two in either the 20' or 24' truck, then put the other two on a uhaul car trailer. Justin at Ft. Meade actually recommends using a uhaul car trailer for dual recoveries.

I'm going to look in to getting a trailer to tow behind the 24' truck but I'm hoping the 24' truck has an actual receiver than I can put two or three in the truck and pull 1 or a stack behind it....

cjk3500

Well, I'm back. Got all 4. 3 in the 24' Box and one behind my Suburban. If you try to put all 3 in rear first they won't fit. I put the 1st one in rear first and the other two in front first and nested them the best I could. Had 4' or 5' to spare in the box. The 101a3's have about 1/4" clearance for the fenders going through the door.

All in all it worked out well. Just a long ride in a VERY BOUNCY truck!

Thanks for all the ideas and comments...

I'm going to try to post some pics soon although I didn't get too many because it was raining.