• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ever thought of adding a simple EGR system to an MEP803a ?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't sleep and mind is busy.

Anyone ever thought of adding a simple EGR system to an MEP803a to help mitigate wet stacking? Nothing fancy, just a tube with a stainless ball valve

My thoughts are, plumbing a steel tube maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the muffler near its input and feeding it back to the intake manifold to grab some heat and gasses that condense in the muffler.
I would incorporate a single ball valve in the circuit to adjust the amount of exhaust gas being fed back the engine since its a fairly stable RPM operation.

Curious if anyone has ever tried it or thought on its effect on the engine's performance.

This was the first type of "anti pollution" addition to cars back in the late 1960's. My tractor has such a system and it runs clean as a whistle with its three cylinder diesel engine.

Open for opinions, ideas and criticisms.........all is fair game and no offense taken by any of it. Even this is ok :cookoo:*************:smile:

Discuss.

Thanks

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So it's not burning the fuel it is already getting and you want put more back into it ?
Your just looking to create a bigger problem.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few reasons why these sets are emissions exempt... just load them down while using and know that you are treating it right!

Triple Jim

EGR systems are designed to reduce nitrous oxide emissions, and won't do anything significant to reduce carbon particle emissions. The idea is to put a few percent of the exhaust gas back in the intake, which adds a small amount of CO2 into the incoming charge to lower its peak combustion temperature. It's not intended to try burning something a second time if it didn't burn the first time. Your clean burning diesels are the result of good, modern engine design, in which EGR is only a small part.

Here's some information about EGR for a diesel engine: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40430-017-0777-x

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EGR systems are designed to reduce nitrous oxide emissions, and won't do anything significant to reduce carbon particle emissions. The idea is to put a few percent of the exhaust gas back in the intake, which adds a small amount of CO2 into the incoming charge to lower its peak combustion temperature. It's not intended to try burning something a second time if it didn't burn the first time. Your clean burning diesels are the result of good, modern engine design, in which EGR is only a small part.

Here's some information about EGR for a diesel engine: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40430-017-0777-x
I read the entire article and understand now that its a minimally beneficial device and actually degrades performance.

Thank You for posting that.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll add that by reducing peak combustion temperature an EGR actually greatly increases the amount of particulate carbon produced. This is why you see them in combination with a DPF. The DPF is required to remove the particulates.

Consider, we go to quite a bit of trouble to provide the engine with clean filtered air. Then consider the grit and carbon particulates in exhaust gasses. Not something that you want in there. Greatly reduces service life.

If it were a good idea they wouldn't have to mandate it. Good ideas are implemented on their own merits.

Engines identical except for the emissions equipment have a 50% difference in rated service life. (Source - 6.7liter Cummins)

Having seen a disassembled 6.7 that was run its entire life with the EGR present, I was shocked at the amount of nastiness and grit on the intake side. I won't willingly have an EGR on a diesel engine.

This is part of the appeal of emissions exempt equipment.

A comparison can be made between an EGR and the original direct impingement system used on the M16s, and the trouble they caused...

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll add that by reducing peak combustion temperature an EGR actually greatly increases the amount of particulate carbon produced. This is why you see them in combination with a DPF. The DPF is required to remove the particulates.

Consider, we go to quite a bit of trouble to provide the engine with clean filtered air. Then consider the grit and carbon particulates in exhaust gasses. Not something that you want in there. Greatly reduces service life.

If it were a good idea they wouldn't have to mandate it. Good ideas are implemented on their own merits.

Engines identical except for the emissions equipment have a 50% difference in rated service life. (Source - 6.7liter Cummins)

Having seen a disassembled 6.7 that was run its entire life with the EGR present, I was shocked at the amount of nastiness and grit on the intake side. I won't willingly have an EGR on a diesel engine.

This is part of the appeal of emissions exempt equipment.

A comparison can be made between an EGR and the original direct impingement system used on the M16s, and the trouble they caused...
I understand and replied to your PM. The tractor's system seems to work......so far.

Chainbreaker

Yeah, I think I would have tried a solvent soak/pressure wash or had it bead blasted. There is a reason exhaust manifolds are not made of aluminum.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solvents are painfully slow on these things. I've burned out several. Just not like that. VW recommends replacing them because they are so hard to clean out.

I've not had any issues with bolting everything back together when done.

Keith_J

I've cleaned one with solvent. Nasty mess. These manifolds are quite soft and elastic so there are no issues getting them to seal. The EGR valve is sealed with an o-ring

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks