• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ever try tractor tires on a deuce?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military used tires like that back in the 40s. I think they called it the chevron pattern.

emr

Yes it was/is called the chevron pattern, good post for someone like me, I have been running them in a 16 inch by 750 size on my M38 for 20 years, they kick alot of but thru alot of mub bogs in there day, Directional tires are simply the best for traction in one direction, no tire has more, in a single direction, There are over the road directionals that come close to a tractor tire like U and I call it, used alot on stake body and dump trucks in the 1 ton range in the 60's and 70's , they are hard to find now, most tire places say they are not made anymore, but yes they are, U just need a real tire shop, I ran those on my cj2a's for all my life since i was 19, and they are only out done by the real tractor tire. The speeds are fine for the speeds our trucks should run, but they wear fast, obviously , the closest thing to them today and probably better because they are super off road and can handle the roads well also are the michelins the 1100's are the tire to get, U will find in my opnion that unless u are doing straight mud bogs the michelins are far superior to them simply because they are good for a wider variety and still retain the awesome one job rule , off road traction, a truck with the tractor tires we are drooling over here should really be trailered, but like everything else, any thing is only as dangerous as the driver makes it, and a novis will eat those up and probably crash too, my 3 cents, I love tires and have had more types on trucks and jeeps than most, sorry thats true. now just running them in the back like the 1 ton dump and rack body trucks did in the 60's and 70's would make more sense, and I would do it in a heart beat. and now u got me thinking, I am hoping to afford 3 air lockers in my deuce some day, that would be worth it, to use tractor tires not only for the traction but the "HOLY #$$%^^&& LOOK AT THAT TRUCK" thing, but I would also trailer it then, behind my five ton , Oh I should ad that my M38 has a 255 buick V6 and duel exhaust with 155 horsy's.not alot for some guys, but she is dangerous when U nail second,I hit second fast at the begining of a bog and by then i was at the end of the bog.they really cut the mud,

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Cool, sounds like lots of fun.

I figger a deuce would need wide ones to keep it afloat as well as pull. I will be in loose sandy stuff.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Commando Special tires for the V100 are similar, good mud traction and they also propel the vehicle in the water.

Cheers

Attachments

OffRoad

I have thought about that too. For a deuce you're only going to use off-road (less that 5% pavement) it would be perfect.

You would have to find some 9R20 or 10R20 AG (agriculture) tires and put them on. Add 3 Detroit lockers and you would have a lot of capability.

Try out this website. Plug in your overall height and go from there.
Titan Wheel

Then you get a list of tires. Choose one.

Titan® Tire catalog

$582! Ouch.

kroctec

if you don't mind spending some $s you will be vey hard pressed to find a better performing tire than the Michelin XM 47, a chevron pattern tread but also (perhaps conservatively|) rated to 60mph for road use. there is also a Continental equivalent available, this may well be a cheaper alternative in the north american market compared to the very expensive Michelins. a further option would perhaps be a tire from the Czech Republic made by Mitas and also available in the USA. the Mitas tires are to be found on just about every Russian military vehicle and are well proven in the varied terrains across Russia and the former soviet states.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks