• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone had their GL MV auction "contested" by the government?

smurph

I recently won a GL auction for a 5 ton. I got a call from GL saying that the government is contesting the release of the vehicle? Anyone had this experience? If so, how did it work out for you?

Steve

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The government can even come get the truck anytime they want.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not with a truck - but about 8 years back I bought some surplus electronic equipment from GL. I believe it was a pallet load of AN/GRA-39 radio control set residue. They were pretty shot, I think out of the lot of 15 of them, I managed to build 2 working one out of the lot, which I promptly sold at a show. The rest I tossed in the landfill, just a mess of jumbled wires and cracked casings.

A couple months later, got a letter from some branch of the DoD (I can't remember which) telling me they had changed the demil code on those items, and they wanted them all back. I found it kinda weird, to recall some items AFTER the fact due to a demil code change (were they doing the same to those who purchased radios in the 1960s and Kevlar helmets in the early 1990s?). Anyways, wrote them a letter back saying I had since disposed of them and they were no longer in my possession.

However, that was with small items. Hard to say that if GL or DoD comes calling, and your truck is registered in your name and is sitting in the driveway.

smurph

What kind of vehicle did you purchase and how long ago?
M934 last week on the 6th. I paid them in full and the EUC is already at Battle Creek. Then I get a call from GL today. Since the EUC had already been submitted, they gave me the option of waiting a couple of weeks to see if something good ended up happening.

In any case, I'm kind of bummed out right now. Got it at a decent price and it was local to my area so the recovery would be easier.

Steve

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have added...

I once was at Ft. Meade inspecting and I saw an early 70s bucket truck that I recognized from a PA location on a previous sale. The site manager told me they had the buyer turn the truck in at the location because of a request from the government. The site manager told me that this particular bucket truck was used in deicing F14s and, since that is a controlled item, the truck being used to service it became a controlled item, too. As shocking as that sounds, it has happened before.

KWDriver

I won 2 M1102s out of Ft Gordon 3 weeks ago and the Govt challenged the sale. I asked for a refund and accidentally won 16 M1101s out of atlanta last thursday. Now it has become a hassle to pick them all up. I bid on a bunch to watch them..and then everyone stopped bidding. Very nice for flipping though. Heading up tomorrow to pick up a bunch hopefully. We'll see how many I can get on a 48 foot semi flatbed. Stacked? upright at a 45* angle? Upright on the tailgate? Thoughts on how to get the most on that flatbed?

Artisan

I think there is more going on than meets the eyes here.

If the DOD is even remotely concerned about a possible conflict they
would be WISE to hold on to many of these trucks. If you go to
GL and do a search for TRUCK in ALL stes you will see the pickens
are VERY SLIM. It only makes sense.

Ratch

Late to chime in, but I had won a shelter once, and the government put a hold on it after I'd paid. I found out when I called to schedule pickup. They gave me the option of taking a refund or waiting to see what happened. I took the refund, and saw it listed again later at the same site. This time it went for twice what I'd won it for. I know they don't give enough of a hoot, but a small part of me wonders if someone said "No way, we need to get more for that thing." And then relisted and shill-bid it up...

Interestingly, I paid within 24 hours (how do you not?), but they took a lonnnnnnnng time to refund me...

Ripcord01

Late to chime in, but I had won a shelter once, and the government put a hold on it after I'd paid. I found out when I called to schedule pickup. They gave me the option of taking a refund or waiting to see what happened. I took the refund, and saw it listed again later at the same site. This time it went for twice what I'd won it for. I know they don't give enough of a hoot, but a small part of me wonders if someone said "No way, we need to get more for that thing." And then relisted and shill-bid it up...

Interestingly, I paid within 24 hours (how do you not?), but they took a lonnnnnnnng time to refund me...
That sure is a head scratcher.

smurph

Well... I'm playing the waiting game. Still no response from the gov about why it was contested and held at this point. GL says it may take 6 (or more) weeks to get an answer. I'll be patient and let it play out. I did get a call from the site manager. She said when she wrote the truck up, there wasn't any issue. But since that time, the demil code changed from Q to B (which is destroy). I think it is a mistake. There is also a M934 mortar round casing that is definitely demil B. Hopefully, it will be cleared up. I just hope the red tape doesn't get to thick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks