• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone haul (2) M101A3 on an 18' car trailer before

roady

Hey Guys,

Going to pick up 2 M101A3's from Ft Meade this week and plan on taking an 18' car trailer to pick them both up at the same time. I looked at the TM and it looks like they are roughly 81.5" wide and about 147" long. I would think that if I put the first one tongue down and overhang the tongue on the car trailer and then tuck the second one up underneath of the first one it would work. I remember seeing a picture here somewhere of a couple of trailers on a trailer but cant seem to find it now.

Thanks for any help provided. I will take pictures of the recovery and post back as well.

Jersey4x4

I had 3 on my 16' trailer. I just pulled the pins/bolts and folded them like they were designed to for air craft transport. I was moving 101a2 trailers though.

3dAngus

Yep. I carried two M101A3 trailers on my 16' flatbed 515 miles in a recovery effort with no problems whatsoever. Just make sure they are racheted down tight, again and again. I used six of the military ratchet straps (3 each), and two chains with come alongs around the axles.
Rope is NOT the way to go. It has to be as tight as a guitar string.

Do not use the landing gear. You should put the A frame down on the trailer bed. Make sure the two axles are positioned as close as possible over your hauling trailer axles, and do the best you can to work with the forklift operator to ensure the most balanced load over the axles as possilble. If the heavy part is to far forward, it makes for a rougher ride over the long haul.

So after you load, try it out before you go the first 50' of so. Look in the rear view mirror at the tires which will be plainly visible. With the hand brakes on and the load secure, they should not move after applying the brakes one inch. NOT ONE INCH. Same for the starts. Try it over and over while going faster and faster, up to 15-20 mph. Then, after the first mile or two, stop and retest all holding straps. Some might get loosened after a few stops and goes. All in all, if you drive safe, balance the load, and tie it down securely, the trip will be just what you want. Uneventful. Good luck.

Last edited:

Ratch

Roady, 16' is plenty for your trailers.
I've hauled (2) A2's on a 16' deck with no problem and a little room to breath. Like others have said, run at least one strap around the axle. The military put tie-down points on the frame to make it brainless and easy, so a couple chains or straps through the tie-down eye's should make loading quick. Yet for some reason, it always takes me an hour or more to strap them down...
Anyway, I personally prefer chains and binders. They usually don't stretch over the trip like straps occasionally do.

4 - M101A2's on about 21 feet of deck.

Wow, that makes me think I can fit (2) units on a 10.5' deck... Hmm...

midcounty

Put tounges facing rear with jack up, tires on front trailer as far forward as possible, then rear one. You will be fine. I have done it twice now with M101's. Do take tarps off if they have them.

Bighurt

I had 3 105's on a 36' GN before. I agree remove tarps...tons of wind resistance and they don't need potential damage.