• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have a head gasket "weep" on their Deuce?

2003hummer h1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up my Deuce Sunday, went out monday to look everything over, noticed most of the hose clamps needed tightening. Tightened them up and took the truck out, got it up to temp to make sure the hoses did not leak. While looking the engine over I noticed that the head gasket had a small amount of bubbles coming from the rear drive side corner of the head/head gasket, also the front of the head/gasket was leaking enough fluid to cause some moisture.
Is this considered "weeping" The truck is a 1971 AM General with low mileage, low Hrs.
thanks.

Woodsplinter

My '83 AM General also weeps below the head gaskets. Has done so so for the year that I've owned it.

I've never noticed bubbles and all the fluid levels stay normal.

Just gonna keep an eye on it for now.

TMNT

I think they all "weep" like that. Mine does it just enough to stain the block but never enough to actually drip.

I've heard of all kinds of attempts to stop they slow leak, but nothing seems to work. I just keep an eye on it and regularly check my fluid levels and colors. I've put about 5,000 miles on mine in a year and a half and it hasn't changed. I will say that I've never seen any bubbles in that area though. That would indicate air/gasses leaking out?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it is 'normal' given that it is 40 plus years old. replacement gaskets are probably in your future and then it will be very dry.

Picked up my Deuce Sunday, went out monday to look everything over, noticed most of the hose clamps needed tightening. Tightened them up and took the truck out, got it up to temp to make sure the hoses did not leak. While looking the engine over I noticed that the head gasket had a small amount of bubbles coming from the rear drive side corner of the head/head gasket, also the front of the head/gasket was leaking enough fluid to cause some moisture.
Is this considered "weeping" The truck is a 1971 AM General with low mileage, low Hrs.
thanks.
2003H1,
You would have much shorter list asking who's Duece didn't leak a little oil from the head gasket. Most of the 2 1/2 tons do. Once you replace the head gasket with the most current set, she will not leak and run much better. Make sure to have the head magnafluxed and milled, prior to installing new head gasket. Also, good idea to get yourself a head wrench for a Duece. Makes the job much easier. Some guys jokingly state if it is not leaking something, then check your oil, may not be any oil in the motor. Good luck.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks