• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have a headbolt wrench?

dieselsmokem35a2

I am in the middle of replacing my head gaskets and realized that you really do need that special headbolt wrench. I have seen them for sale before on online auctions but can't seem to locate one now. Anyone willing to loan one out or sell one? My other problem is that on of the studs that screw into the block has stripped or pulled out of the block when I tried to torque it. It's in a water jacket too so I am thinking the best thing to do is pull the head off again and put in a heli coil. You guys think that would hold when I torque it to 130lbs? Not sure what else to do. JB weld? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saturn Surplus has the head wrenches.

I would drill it out and use a "nutsert ", it is an over-sized solid steel insert. Get one with the inside thread the correct size and drill and tap for the outside diameter/thread. Look around, they are available in different lengths and sizes. Call your local industrial fastener place. Loctite it in to seal it.

link, http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsMetal/index.html

Last edited:
Be careful with the Saturn surplus wrenches. They tend to break. If you can, get one and use it to fabricate your own. When I replaced my head gaskets the wrench I got busted while tightening the 2 bolt back on. I was lucky enough to find one on post at the ITT maintenance facility. They had cut a wrench in half and bent it and the added a socket extension which they also bent and welded into place. (wish I had taken a picture of it) after that i had no problems.

dieselsmokem35a2

Thanks Airbornbandsman. I guess all I can do is give it a shot and hope for the best. I was thinking of making my own but thought I probably can't do better than the one made just for that truck......"you've got to have the right tool for the right job!" If the Saturn bought wrench snaps I will know that it is time for plan B. Thanks again!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another dumb question - why is a special head bolt wrench required? Can't someone use standard sockets and socket wrenches?

jatonka

The deal with the headbolt wrenches seems to be, if you use them to remove the head, you will break them. But if you use them to torque the head while installing head gaskets, and you oil the bolts properly, they don't break. I have experiece with a lot of these wrenches and, it really doesn't matter who sells them or what color they are, they are not strong enough to remove rusty, dirty head bolt nuts. JT out

dieselsmokem35a2

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input! It was a huge help to me. I ordered the Saturn wrench an will use it with the greatest of care. I will take jatonka's advice and really clean the threads well and use lots of oil. I already got them off with a box end wrench and lots of Liquid Wrench so I only need it to torque them back down. Ordered the quick locks too. I really hope they work. Keeo your fingers crossed for me. I will try and take pictures if I can and post them when I am done with the project. THanks again to all of you!