• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have a MEP-003 Engine??

SmokeyJoeJ

Well I went to Chambersburg yesterday and picked up my MEP-003. As everyone said Matt was great and had her loaded in 5 minutes. My first concern was when I checked the oil and found none on the dipstick :?:. Well after 790 mile round trip I got her home and changed all the fuel and oil filters. Added oil and 2 new batteries and went through the priming and pre heat process filled with anticipation to hear the machine come to life. When I hit the start switch all I heard was the starter bang against a stuck flywheel. I tried a socket on the bolt at the cooling fan and she is locked up tight:cry: Guess I will tear into it but if anyone has a spare engine laying around give me a shout. Guess I new it may be a paperweight going in but after hearing all the good stories on here was hoping for the same. If anyone has other suggestions I am all ears.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try pulling the injectors and putting a tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil down in the cylnders. Let it sit for a week, then try turning the motor over by hand. If it turns, give it a shot of ether and fire it up. If it doesn't turn at all, then try another engine.

I just snagged a pile of parts for my MEP-003A today at Coleman's, I pulled them off a bunch of junker 003s. You might want to call them up and see what they would sell a junker 003 for, it might be cheaper than you think.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about that. That's really bad luck. If you're not afraid of the work, try pulling the injectors and putting some kerosine in the cylinders and letting it soak for a few days. Unless the crank is welded it might free up the pistons.

SmokeyJoeJ

She is soaking!!! I pulled the injectors but left the lines attached just out enough to get the sea foam poured in. Guess I will let her soak for a few days. Has anyone tried turning their eng over by hand using the center bolt on the fan?? Just curious how hard she turns?? Thanks for any feedback

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't try to turn it by hand unless the injectors were out.

1, the compression needed to turn over a diesel would make it very hard to turn.

2, and most importantly, there is always a chance it could start on you.

I would imagine with the injectors out it shouldn't turn much harder than any other engine would...just pistons going up and down with no compression.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at the throttle where it attaches to the IP. .If it has come loose then the engine oversped and threw a rod. I bought one this way once. It became a parts genset. I frend of mine tells me they were tought to do this if they had to aband them to keep the enemy for using them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks